Clutch Size 4 a 360 / 390 Clutch difference?

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

72Highboy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Clutch Size 4 a 360 / 390 Clutch difference?

Post by 72Highboy »

I been having problems with my clutch I got from Autozone, this time I think its the throw out bearing :cuss: I have adjusted the clutch and I hear a clicking pretty sure its the wrong bearing again. :hw: Im going to start going to Napa and O'Reilly. Anyways I was wondering the size on the clutch for a 5.9L 360 will there be any difference if I get one for a 390 engine.

I have read online that they say the 360 came with a 11 in clutch but all I can find in part stores are 10" or 10 1/2" :hmm: Can you guys help this is my daily driver and I have been down for about a month now. :hs: :cry:
Joshua
aka Young Gun 8) :drive:
FE - Famous Engine
(Brandi) 72 F100 360 5.9L Sport Custom 6" Lift
U.S. Army Veteran/11B
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Clutch Size 4 a 360 / 390 Clutch difference?

Post by TNIceWolf »

All the bad throw out bearings I have ever heard made a growling ...grinding or whirring sound. Never heard one click ever. It may be possible your sound source lies elsewhere.
Find 'em....Buy 'em....Fix 'em.....Drive 'em....Love 'em

HHC 4/67AR.... Bandits.....88-92

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
1989 Chevy S-10 Tahoe ( It gets me to work and back and fetches parts and groceries)
1981 Buick Regal ( My deceased uncles last project/driver....renamed project Regal Eagle to be finished in his honor)
1990 Ford F-150 ( Miss Yvonnes Daily Driver )
My F-350 project http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=41744
72Highboy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 72Highboy »

Nope pretty sure its the bearing when I step on the clutch peddle it stops. By doing that the bearing would be pressed up against the pressure plate and the noise stops. But once I let the clutch out the noise comes back. I have adjusted the clutch release rod that pushs the fork all the way it can. I would have to make a custom release rod to make the noise stop, but if I do that the rod will be probably 5 to 6 inchs long.

Just estamating on the size of the bearing, the old bearing is 1 3/4" thick the new one is like 1 1/2" thick. They only place that said they have what looks just like mine is at Napa Auto.
Joshua
FE - Famous Engine
U.S. Army Veteran/11B
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

With the clutch linkage properly adjusted and the engine idling in neutral, the throw out bearing is not spinning. Bad throw out bearings only make noise with the clutch pedal depressed.
72Highboy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 72Highboy »

True but I am returning the clutch set and getting a new one at Napa there is a set that is 11 1/2" and one that is 10" Not sure which one to get because I have heard that the 5.9L 360 engine used a 11" clutch. :hmm:
Joshua
FE - Famous Engine
U.S. Army Veteran/11B
f100x2

Post by f100x2 »

When I changed my truck to a standard from an automatic I used an 11" clutch but I have a 390 which is supposed to use an 11 1/2" clutch. I drove it for a year and didn't have any problems, but the throwout bearing started getting noisy. Last week I tore out the motor to rebuild it and inspected the throwout bearing and found that it was pretty much shot. The clutch was adjusted perfect and I never rode the clutch so I think the bearing was just poor quality. When it goes back together I'm going to put a better throwout bearing in.
72Highboy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 72Highboy »

None of the ones I have gotten in the clutch kits look like this. although Napa Auto parts does. Has anyone one of your guys looked like this or similar.

Joshua
FE - Famous Engine
U.S. Army Veteran/11B
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good evening 72Highboy!
72Highboy wrote:I would have to make a custom release rod to make the noise stop, but if I do that the rod will be probably 5 to 6 inchs long.
If you would like a longer release rod, one's available through NAPA. It's part number 615-1116, and I used one on my truck with great success! It's around 6" long. There are detailed photos of it here: Short clutch release rod: how can I find/make a longer one?

As for the clicking sound, are you using one of those pressure plates that uses loose weights (like the Centerforce pressure plates)? Those can make a clicking sound when the clutch isn't released, but it's not very loud. I couldn't hear it with the engine running or anything, just while turning the engine over by hand.

Robroy
QC
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by QC »

Why don't you go to NAPA and get the one that matches the Original? What size clutch did you take out?
69 F-100 Ranger 302
72Highboy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 72Highboy »

robroy wrote:Good evening 72Highboy!
72Highboy wrote:I would have to make a custom release rod to make the noise stop, but if I do that the rod will be probably 5 to 6 inchs long.
If you would like a longer release rod, one's available through NAPA. It's part number 615-1116, and I used one on my truck with great success! It's around 6" long. There are detailed photos of it here: Short clutch release rod: how can I find/make a longer one?

Robroy
QC wrote:Why don't you go to NAPA and get the one that matches the Original? What size clutch did you take out?
Thanks "Robroy" for link Ill check it out that will help.

I took out a clutch disc that was 11" in diameter. Not sure how to measure the pressure plate. I didn't think of measureing the new one I bought from Autozone but when I put the clutch disc's togethere to see how much ware was on the old one they were the same size if I remember right :hmm:

Since Napa has the release bearing that looks just like the one I took out I am getting a clutch kit from them and returning the one from Autozone. The only problem is Napa has a 10" and a 11 1/2" clutch. I hear that 360 engine's need a 11" clutch so which one do I go for, they always ask do I want the 10 or 11 1/2".
Joshua
FE - Famous Engine
U.S. Army Veteran/11B
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

72Highboy wrote:
The only problem is Napa has a 10" and a 11 1/2" clutch. I hear that 360 engine's need a 11" clutch so which one do I go for, they always ask do I want the 10 or 11 1/2".
Are you sure they told you 10" and 11-1/2"?

When I checked NAPA's website for a "Clutch for 72 F100" (included all engines), I saw a 10" and 11". The only 11-1/2" that I saw was a Zoom clutch. When I narrowed the search to a 360 engine, it came up with the 11" set only.

They also listed a release bearing that looks like the one you have pictured.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Result ... tk=Keyword
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
72Highboy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 72Highboy »

Thanks for the help and the double checking guys, :thup: and thank you 70_100 for checking Napa website. :thup: Ya when they pulled up the 72 F100 they did really put in the rite size engine, they said the engine size was a 240 or something like that. :hmm: I got it straighten out, they do have a 11" and they will be speacial ordering it and will be getting it soon. :D But thanks a million for all your guys input. They sad thing is down here the companies want to make extra money by giveing the people the wrong part and hopefully they will be dumb enough to buy the right one the next time. So they really get double the pay on someone dumb.
Joshua
FE - Famous Engine
U.S. Army Veteran/11B
Alvin in AZ
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Alvin in AZ »

Why do you guys think it's the throw out bearing and not the pilot bearing or something? :)

----------------------------

I've only had problems with two throw out bearings since the pickup was new in Feb '75.

The first one was from Ford and had a plastic liner/collar inside it to make it slide better?
Well, the plastic part broke in '79. :/

The second one was a huge heavy duty looking one with a grease zerk on it.
Just like the U-joints I had that were re-greasable, it didn't hold up worth anything. :/

"The drive shaft guy in town" figures it has something to do with grit getting shoved into
the works -no matter how good you clean it- some dirt still gets shoved in, from the gun
and/or the zerk.

Alvin in AZ
ps- These are a product of my '75's first clutch... :)
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/guidepins.jpg
Still got 'em, used 'em on the Bronco and its new ZF...
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/guidepin.jpg
Skifu
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Skifu »

I just did a E40D to a T/18 swap,I used a 10 inch clutch,that came as a set with a pilot ,and TO bearing,I can still up/grade to a 11 inch clutch,My set -up uses the Hyd.clutch,easiest thing in the world to retro,No real linkage to fool with,just a hyd.line,going down to the bell house,I guess what Im trying to say is just install what came stock,if it says a 11.5 clutch,thats what you use,if your not hauling heavy all the time,Hell,I just hauled 26/96lb bags of mortar mix to my bro-inlaws house and all Ive got is a 10 in.clutch,made the trip no probs.
94 Ford F-150 super cab
300-6 eod auto,changing to NP-435