Anyone with a cracked dashpad ??

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

cdeal28078
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Anyone with a cracked dashpad ??

Post by cdeal28078 »

JMcTurnan wrote:The pads are easy to install, the cover is best to install while it is out of the truck. When you do it in the truck it is hard to get the front middle to stay down. If you take it out you can use bungee cord, or other stuff to hold the front down, and it will last i mean "forever".
I did mine while in the truck and had to trim the outer edges just a bit to get it to fit length wise or it would have probably buckles in the middle
clint
71 F100 SportCustom
460 C6. Disc Brake/Power-steering/automatic Swap. 3.00
1986 Bronco 5.0 AOD
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Well. today i was thinking about this thread while working on the '69, putting it back together. I took a look at the dashpad and decided I'm not a dashpad person :D
I pulled the dashpad i just bought for it out, I'm going to try and sell it now. The plain, classic metal dash is far nicer in my opinion. A lot of it has to do with how i don't like the overhang the dash pad has. You can't see het top of the radio bezel or anything.
Within a couple days i am considering welding up all the dash holes, grinding smooth, filler, and repainting the dash. I may leave the holes there though justin case i want to put one back in, in the future or something.
-Ryan
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

:yt:, I'm kind of having a dilemma on that, If I weld the holes it will look better without a dash pad, but if I don't I can put a nice one on it the future, and even though I don't see myself wanting to put a dash pad back on I'd just like to leave that as an option why exactly? Well I'm not to sure :? :hmm: :? :lol:.
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Exactly. I cannot decided and i need to make the decision now, before the dash goes back together (actually i kinda put it back together today, oh well). I sitll need to touch up the dash now though because i scratched it up installing, and removing the dash pad. It's hard to do without scratching the dash. HMMMM
-Ryan
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Yesterday
Today
-Ryan
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

I found this picture off google... holes welded shut... it's inspiring me to do the same. But instead i think i am going to get crafty and create some type of plug or cover or something that hides the holes more.
-Ryan
twentyocho

Post by twentyocho »

1971ford wrote:I found this picture off google... holes welded shut... it's inspiring me to do the same. But instead i think i am going to get crafty and create some type of plug or cover or something that hides the holes more.

I'm in the same boat and this pic just made me choose to go padless.. That looks really sharp IMHO... 8)
71 F100 SW 302 C4
stephen44
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by stephen44 »

oh come on guys - you are making me change direction :D

I used to be indecisive - now I'm not sure :evil:

Stephen
thanks

Stephen
(1967 F100, FE352, 2wd, 3 on the tree, flareside)
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Yep i used to be looking everywhere for a dashpad, dying to get one. Now I'm selling it for $60 on craigslist because i am in love with the old school look of metal dash/paint 8)
-Ryan
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

1971ford wrote:I found this picture off google... holes welded shut... it's inspiring me to do the same. But instead i think i am going to get crafty and create some type of plug or cover or something that hides the holes more.
That clean look is the reason I like the look of a bare metal dash 8) . A plug of some sort would be a good idea that way if you decide you want a dash pad in the future it's still an option. I still haven't decided whether or not to weld the holes on my dash or not yet :hmm:.
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Kinda on subject, anyone know a good product to soften a dash pad? Or are they pretty much toast once they're hard with age?
austin
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by austin »

i use baby oil on my three wheeler fenders it seems to soften them up a bit
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

hmmm i was thinking about that. How soft were these pads 40 years ago?? Mine which is in great condition is a little soft, but for the most part it is hard. Were they really soft from the factory? I guess no one will know...
-Ryan
mljjones67
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by mljjones67 »

No dash pad for me. I don't think the holes look to bad either. But maybe fill the holes with some led lights for the night cruise ins? The little holes on the front of the dash on mine is going to get the little white leds that come on with the door open. Hope it looks good
austin
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by austin »

that does it my dash pad is going bye bye