'72 heater hose

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

faxon7

'72 heater hose

Post by faxon7 »

Simple question, sure that I know but want to ask here to double-check.

On the 72 F100, which hose flows to the heater, and from the heater.

Thanks
Josh
towtruckerfour
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: '72 heater hose

Post by towtruckerfour »

Are you refering to the engine compartment hoses? I might be wrong but i'm thinking the one with the valve goes to the heater.
Troy
Why is it that the trucks are always the best running vehicles in the family?
Ford means "found on road daily"
70 F100 Custom-352 w/68 Highboy 4x4 frame. My play/project truck
70 F250 Explorer-390/C6 auto. My work truck
04 Mitsubishi montero-family car
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

they both go to the heater.

http://www.fordification.com/images/70explorer/17.jpg
Thunderfoot wrote:Kaptn,
Remember the pic of the low mile 70 explorer? http://www.fordification.com/images/70explorer/17.jpg it shows the heater hoses...

I have a heater control I bought earlier this summer for my highboy and it has all the cables hooked on it, when I get home I will get a picture of it and post it here and what each cable does. :thup: I haven't installed it yet... :o

Check back later tonight. :wink:
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

They don't both go to the heater, one will have to be a return from the heater.
On my truck, the one closest to the engine has the valve on it.
faxon7

Post by faxon7 »

Thanks, I thought that the hose with the valve flows to the heater.
Reason for the question is because that hose connects to the intake manifold with this fitting
P1010420.JPG
I am wondering if the pipe sticking out the bottom, and into the manifold, is necessary for pulling warm coolant to go up to the heater.

I had another fitting that ends at the bottom of the threads and wanted to replace with it.

Thanks again,
Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

Usually the hose that is closest to the thermostat or on the therm housing itself is the supply hose. The valve should be on that hose also. Reason being, the coolant needs to flow through the heater core long before the thermo opens or you would be waiting for heat.
-Jeff

1971 F-100 240 straight six, 3 on the tree (parted out)
1972 F-100 302 auto trans, pwr steering, pwr brakes (under construction)
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

Sam I Am wrote:They don't both go to the heater, one will have to be a return from the heater.
On my truck, the one closest to the engine has the valve on it.
the heater core has two hoses going to it. some trucks do not have the carb spacer that is water cooled. if that is what you are refering to. the heater hose routing is different on the two styles of water cooled carbs to non water cooled carbs. that is true.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i am posting so i can remember this for the carb spacer hose routing. this is only so i can remember it. http://www.fordification.com/images/70explorer/15.jpg
m-mman

Post by m-mman »

Heater hose routing? It doesnt matter.

The hottest water IS exiting the intake manifold on its way to the top of the radiator then the water flows through the core just like a small radiator to heat the air provided by the fan. It doesnt make any difference to the core which direction the water flows. :hs:

Water flows ONLY when the valve is opened. (temp lever slid to high)

Now, does direction of flow matter to the VALVE??? :?
Not on our trucks. Take your valve out a look at it. Whether metal or plastic, the valve opens & closes a "gate" that is not affected by the direction of flow.

SOME vehicles have a heater valve (commonly vacuum operated) that forces a 'washer' against a seat much like a [censored] faucet. These valves are held closed by a (weak) spring and opened by a small diaphram.
IF the flow is 'backwards' on these valves THEN the seal can be forced off its seat and hot water can flow thru the core even when it is turned off.
Again, this situation is not an issue for our trucks

The 'water cooled' carb spacer Fordman was discussing is supposed to be connected to the HOTTEST water. (from intake manifold nipple then to heater). It was included by FoMoCo to 'prevent carburator icing'.
Expanding air (lowering air pressure) as in comming out of the venturies is absorbing heat and could form ice on the throtte plates resulitng is poor cold (freezing) weather operation. The carb spacer was intended to HEAT UP the carb!

Out west it is common to re-route the hoses to NOT run water through this plate to prevent vapor lock. :wink:
1969 F-100 Custom Cab 302 T-85 Overdrive, 3.70 equalock & factory 16" wheels
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

If you're vapor locking then bypassing the carb heater is just a band aide to mask the real problem, even if it stops you still have a problem hiding as the truck was originally sold with the carb heater installed without vapor lock issues.
All of mine have always been hooked up with no problems and we hit 115 degrees in the shade in the summer here.

m-mman

Post by m-mman »

Vapor lock and other hot weather problems may not be such a problem on a bump truck as they have big radiators and lots of under hood room. :thup:

However an air conditioned 1960s Country Squire towing a trailer on a hot day needs all the help it can get.
Have ya ever seen how hot the underhood gets on a 61-69 Lincoln? A 430 puts the fuel pump right in the hot air stream coming outta the radiator. These things do not need their carburators heated one bit. :no:
1969 F-100 Custom Cab 302 T-85 Overdrive, 3.70 equalock & factory 16" wheels