FMX transmission

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

rs2600

FMX transmission

Post by rs2600 »

Did Ford ever put a FMX behind a FE? I've been offered to buy one with a FE bellhousing but without a converter and was wondering if it can be mated to my 352? Are the converters different depending on what engine to use or are all FMX converters the same?
/Matt
mmerlinn

Re: FMX transmission

Post by mmerlinn »

I believe that the FMX came behind the FE motor the first year the FMX was made, 1968, but am not sure as I never paid a lot of attention to FMXs when I was buying several every day. Now I hardly ever see them.

Be aware that the Cruiso did come behind FE motors and most people confuse the Cruiso with the FMX.

As to converters, I am a total idiot.
mmerlinn (http://mmerlinn.com/catalog/makeridx.htm)

"People who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Steven Raymond
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Yes, Ford put the FMX behind 390s, just never in a truck application according to my information, only the '68-'69 passenger cars. However, you could get a '67 truck with a 352 and an FMX. Transmissions with code PHD were used behind 352 and 390 engines and have more clutches than the versions used on small V8s or I6s (usually 5, but that could vary depending on the vehicle model. You can get more in by trimming the piston a bit and using a forward clutch pressure plate.)

A 390 C6 flex plate is the same diameter as an FMX flex plate, but the number of teeth are different. I don't know about the converter, except that a C-6 converter won't work with an FMX.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
rs2600

Post by rs2600 »

Thanks guys for the input.
/Matt
mmerlinn

Post by mmerlinn »

FORDification wrote: However, you could get a '67 truck with a 352 and an FMX. .
Are you sure about that? If this is true, I need to make a note on my computer to double check tranny types when people want parts for a 67 PU. All of the info I have indicates the the 67 should have a Cruiso. In fact, just a year ago I sold $500 in parts to a dude in NC who had a one-year only Cruiso in his 67 PU. And it had a PFB-A code. I had 3 cores with that exact code and they were all 1967 only PU cores.

"People who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Steven Raymond
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Quote from Bill Wilson a.k.a NumberDummy (retired Ford parts manager)...

The FMX transmission was not introduced till 1969 and was never used in F100/350's excepting 1973/77 F350's with the 300 I-6.

Some people call the MX Cruise-O-Matic used on 1965/67 F100/350's w/352's an FMX, but Ford never refered to an MX as an FMX.

The MX was introduced in 1958 and besides 1965/67 F100/350 w/352's, was used on full sized Fords (Custom/Galaxie/LTD), Mercury's and Thunderbirds with 352 and 390 engines thru 1967.

The true FMX was used on cars from 1969 thru 1979 with the following engines: 302, 351C 2V, 351M & 351W.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Actually, the FMX was introduced in '68, not '69. However, I've been trying to find the info source I had that stated they were available in '67 trucks, although they weren't officially launched until '68, but I'll be darned if I can find it now. :hmm: I'll keep looking....but until I find it again, I agree that we should stick with all the 'official' records which state that an FMX wasn't available in a bumpside truck, and only available in the '73-'78 trucks equipped with a 300-6, as all my other documentation states.

However, my documentation does state that FMX transmissions with codes PHA, PHB, and PHD were installed between 1968-1978 in 240, 302, 351, and 390 engines. I'll try to do a little more research into this to nail it down more precisely.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
swissranger

Post by swissranger »

My 67 F100 with the 352 FE has a HD-MX transmission. The transmisson has the code PFB-A. This trannies have a second oil pump direct on the output shaft, and this is a major difference to FMX trannys which don't have this feature. I was told that the second oil pump should make it possible to start the engine by pushing the truck because the output shaft is connected with the drive shaft. Has anybody tried this :?

Roman
mmerlinn

Post by mmerlinn »

swissranger wrote:My 67 F100 with the 352 FE has a HD-MX transmission. The transmisson has the code PFB-A. This trannies have a second oil pump direct on the output shaft, and this is a major difference to FMX trannys which don't have this feature. I was told that the second oil pump should make it possible to start the engine by pushing the truck because the output shaft is connected with the drive shaft. Has anybody tried this :?

Roman
That is the same transmission I noted a few posts back in this thread. All Cruisos 67 and earlier had a rear pump and because of that you could push start them. There were some Cruisos made up into the 1970s that did not have a rear pump, but most of those Cruisos were in forklifts. 1967 is the last year Ford used the Cruiso.

The other major difference is that the Cruiso dipstick was in the pan, while the FMX was in the case.

In 1974 Ford used a CW cast iron transmission that was mostly FMX except for the valve body. The CW transmission had a single piece valve body (like Rambler & IHC Cruisos) whereas the Ford Cruisos & FMXs all had the pressure regulator valve as a separate piece not attached to the valve body proper.

psvien

Post by psvien »

Ok Guys I am trying to figure out my transmission issue on my 1967 f250 The door plate says it has a cruisomatic my mechanic says it has a FMX. I have a 352 2 bbl and and a special order vintage maroon color. My mechanic dropped the pan and said there was a bunch of shaving in the pan. I just wanted to change the fluid to see if it would help shifting from 2nd to 3rd. From what I have read that the cruisomatic was the only automatic offered in 67. Not sure why my mechanic thinks it an FMX What type of fluid should I put back in for cruisomatic and is it different for FMX? Any information would be appreciated.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

psvien wrote:Ok Guys I am trying to figure out my transmission issue on my 1967 f250 The door plate says it has a cruisomatic my mechanic says it has a FMX. I have a 352 2 bbl and and a special order vintage maroon color. My mechanic dropped the pan and said there was a bunch of shaving in the pan. I just wanted to change the fluid to see if it would help shifting from 2nd to 3rd. From what I have read that the cruisomatic was the only automatic offered in 67. Not sure why my mechanic thinks it an FMX What type of fluid should I put back in for cruisomatic and is it different for FMX? Any information would be appreciated.
Both of them take Type F fluid........back then they made it easy on us unlike now.....couldn't get a straight answer for fluid for my PT Loser so I just went to the dealership and got it........ :cuss:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fastEdsel »

Actually my 1959 Edsel Corsair came with an optional FMX 3 speed transmission. But I think Ford actually introduced the 3 speed FMX as an option in their 1958 cars. Standard tranny behind the powerful 361 FE 10.5:1 engine was a three on the tree, next was the two speed Borg Warner and next was the FMX. Shifting was firm and was accomplished by hydraulic pressure and not governed I'm pretty sure. Later in the early 60's a vacuum modulator valve was installed on the left side of the FMX to lessen the impact of the shifting and the FMX was later called the "Cruise-O-Matic." A nice transmission and would take a beating. GM had the 2 speed Dynaflo and Chrysler had the completely, IMO, indestructible Torqueflite 3 speed push button automatic. My Dad ordered our Edsel Corsair brand new in the fall off 1958 and it was delivered as a new 1959 in the fall of 1958. As a 8 year old kid I actually watched them unload our new car from the carrier and the car is still here, restored and of course with the rebuilt FMX. Overhaul parts by the way are readily available and cost me $169.00. And yes again the Type F fluid is recommended for the Ford transmissions of that era. The shift positions on the indicator at P-R-N-D2-D1-L. When the Cruise-O-Matic was introduced the positions were P-R-N-D-2-L. Hope this helps, hope my history is right and I think it is, good luck with your project and keep us informed. :thup:
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

My 1967 F350 has a 352-2V with 3 speed auto. According to the 1967 Ford Truck Shop manual (Volume 1 page 7-58) the transmission code shoould be PFB-A. This transmission was installed in F100, 250 and 350 without Thermactor. Ford called this transmission a MX-HD. From my memory (I will check later), the code on the transmission matches, but the ID tag was different style.

When searching for information, I found that after market parts were hard to find and even Ford parts were not readily available and that the MX-HD was a predecessor to the FMX.

I drove the truck about 200 miles and the transmission shuddered badly and the truck was having a fuel delivery problem and is now one of several projects awaiting my attention.
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fastEdsel »

That's good information bluef250 about transmissions. Around here there were not many 67-72 Ford trucks with automatics and I just thought Ford bolted in a C4. But the engineers must have thought that because these trucks were going to pull trailers etc they may have beefed up the clutch packs thus giving them another ID stamp. In 1957 Dad ordered a new Ford F100. 223 six and 2 speed Borg Warner automatic. The stamp on the front hood of the truck was "Ford-o-Matic." What a dog. It did have a low gear though when the selector was placed in "L" but in "D" it started out in 2nd then went to 3rd. The last new Ford truck here was a 1975 F150 Ranger XLT, 460 and I'm sure the famous C6 automatic. Now everything here is Chrysler for our daily drivers. I got the parts for my FMX supplied by the overhaul shop, in fact if I remember correctly he had them in stock. Would be interesting to know where you can find parts for your project. :thup: