Pertronix Ignition Question

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

farmtruckman

Pertronix Ignition Question

Post by farmtruckman »

I am getting ready to install the Pertronix ignition (points/condensor replacement) and was wondering if anyone else had and what issues might I come up against. It looks pretty simple in the instructions.
:)
1967 F100 LWB
1972 F100 SWB 4x4
Assorted Harleys
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Pertronix Ignition Question

Post by averagef250 »

Look at it funny and it will make a small poof of smoke and cease to work. They are very simple to install, just not rugged in the least. Do not leave the key on when the engine is not running. Some of them toast in a heartbeat with the key on. Some don't seam to care.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
farmtruckman

Post by farmtruckman »

Thanks for the quick response. I'll keep an eye out for that.

FTM :)
1967 F100 LWB
1972 F100 SWB 4x4
Assorted Harleys
easy

Post by easy »

ive had mine for couple yrs now never any trouble i got the pertronix I the simplst one would buy it again in a heart beat
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

The ignitor II from Pertronix will not burn up if you leave the swtich on (usually the Ignitor I won't either, but the Ignitor II has some sort of overload feature that protects it). The Ignitor II also has a variable dwell ( less spark duration at higher rpm).

I don't think Pertronix units are any more unreliable than factory or any other electronic setups. BUT, its true that you cannot grab a spare one around the corner if yours craps out. A lot of people recomend stowing the old points and condensor in a baggie behind the seat for emergencies. Unlikely that you would get the engie to run great with the old points, but you could probably get it to limp home.
65 f-100 SWB, 240 I6, T-18, now swapped to C4 with difficulty. Yeah, I know. Its a 67-72 site. But my frame and entire drive train are just like yours!!!!