Bedside Truck Tool Box

Moderator: FORDification

FordTruck
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Bedside Truck Tool Box

Post by FordTruck »

Does anyone have pictures of there bed side tool boxes and a look at what they look like inside and underneath if possible. There's a truck in my new junkyard that I go to because they let me just roam around as I please :D I would just look for myself but I don't want to lay in the mud :lol: But anyways it has the bed side tool box and I'm thinking about just taking the door off and making the rest of the tool box myself for the 70. Has anyone ever done this?? Any help would be very helpful.
"Flyin High On Caffine And Copenhagen" R.I.P Chris LeDoux

60 Mercury Comet
65 Ford Econoline
72 Ford F100 on 79 4x4 SWB frame
77 Ford F250 "lowboy" 4x4
09 Harley Xl1200c
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Bedside Truck Tool Box

Post by fordman »

its a tin can basically. i can get a pic tomorrow of it. if you remove the door from a regular factory tool box. nothing will stay in there when you are driving around. it will all fall out all over the road. i have access to a dentside toolbox and door. if you want it. it is virtually the same. except i think the tolbox is plastic instead of metal. so it wont rust out.
FordTruck
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by FordTruck »

I may be interested :thup: Let me check the condition of the one off the truck in the junkyard. The olny thing is I hate to cut the new bed i'm getting to install one. Both the 70's I've owned and neither one has one.

60 Mercury Comet
65 Ford Econoline
09 Harley Xl1200c
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

why not grab the toolbox as well? that would be alot easier.

this is the best pic i could find. the lip of the box mounts up against the part that's still painted white here. and 3 bolts go through the bed and mount to 3 extended bolt holes on the box.
-Ryan
FordTruck
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by FordTruck »

Thanks Ryan :thup:

I didn't know there was a lip there, I think the one in the junkyard is rusted out becuase the whole bedside around the tool box moves when I try to break in to the toolbox because its locked and no keys. in a couple days I'll have some money and I'm gonna rip that bedside apart :lol: . Does anyone how I can break that lock witout destroying the latch? I though about shoving a screwdriver in there and try to open it but any other ideas??

60 Mercury Comet
65 Ford Econoline
09 Harley Xl1200c
Banjo
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Banjo »

if you pound in a large flathead screwdriver with a 4 pound hammer, the door is going to be shot for good maybe from buckling. have you got a cordless drill and can drill the center out? if you have a 5 gallon bucket, you can loaded your tools/cordless drill and drill bits in there and drill it out and then use a flathead to unlock?
Brisco Darlin'......"You sure do render good Sheriff!"