Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Rear Frame length

Post by basketcase0302 »

Lambo,

Love the custom tool boxes on the flat bed.
One thing that I;ll point out about the frames on our Ford trucks that became evident early on in the 70's was the ability of the frames to flex in off camber rough situations. Ford trucks became well known for this and the chebby trucks became just the opposite. I've seen so...many C-series trucks with broken frames, (because they were never designed to twist like our Ford trucks were). The C-series had an even worse issue with frame cracking due to the wimpy suspension / steering geometry design causing cracked frames at one of the most critical area's on the truck-behind the steering box.

Only mentioned the above for thought to the possibility of adding too much beef, (additional crossmembers) to the frame that could possibly stop it from flexing?
Keep up the good work! :pop:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Lambo

Re: Rear Frame length

Post by Lambo »

Thanks Jeff. I am well acquainted with the toughness of our Ford Trucks and have no intention of compromising the frame. I do have to patch the cross member nearest the transfer case as they notched it out so the lift fit under the bed, the boogers. Other than that, I only intend to clean the frame when I can get to it.

Lambo