Rear Frame length

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

Lambo

Rear Frame length

Post by Lambo »

I have just removed a flat bed from my 68 F250 and have a regular bed to replace it with, but whoever put the flat bed on lengthened the frame by a foot or so. I have searched this site but not finding what I am looking for in the way of frame set up aft of the rear axle on this truck. Does anyone have pictures of an original 4x4 rear frame so I can see what it is supposed to be and possibly some measurements I can use? Much appreciated.
Bill Ramsey
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Rear Frame length

Post by Bill Ramsey »

Can't you see the welds? Post some photos.
1968 Highboy
1976 Highboy
1969 F250 Camper Special
1941 Dodge Power Wagon
1930 Model A Coupe (Hotrod)
1962 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe
VW Sandrails
Honda ATC's
36' Diesel Pusher for roughing it.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Lambo

Post by Lambo »

I can see the general weld site, but was ground flush with frame rail and years of rust have blurred exact weld line. Also, they spot welded a piece of C channel inside the frame rail which makes it even more difficult. I still have what I refer to as an Amish Phone (flip phone) so will have to borrow a smart phone to get pictures.

I did see the 1967 diagrams but didn't know if I could use the dimension AF on the F250 Cab and Chassis. If I can that will help. The one other thing I need to know, and reason I asked for picture of rear frame, is if there was a cross member at the end of the frame rails, or not. The folks who installed the flat bed and extended the frame have a cross piece at end of the frame extension which they used to bolt one stout hitch support.

Thank you.

Lambert
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

How about this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
68 F250 4x4
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

I can see the general weld site, but was ground flush with frame rail and years of rust have blurred exact weld line. Also, they spot welded a piece of C channel inside the frame rail which makes it even more difficult. I still have what I refer to as an Amish Phone (flip phone) so will have to borrow a smart phone to get pictures.
I did see the 1967 diagrams but didn't know if I could use the dimension AF on the F250 Cab and Chassis. If I can that will help. The one other thing I need to know, and reason I asked for picture of rear frame, is if there was a cross member at the end of the frame rails, or not. The folks who installed the flat bed and extended the frame have a cross piece at end of the frame extension which they used to bolt one stout hitch support.
Thank you.
Lambert
Lambert,

On my F-350 dually, (factory flat bed cab and chassis truck) where the frame had been extended to the longest measurement, (believe it's 135" from the above chart) it looked just like you've described. There was a flat plate on both frame rail outside and channel welded to the inside to strengthen. And yes there was an additional crossmember added to my truck as well, (from the factory) that was basically a piece of C-channel and was the support for the rear driveshaft CV joint / one crossmember that holds the E-brake cables / then one last crossmember aft by the rear spring mount brackets (behind the wheel by the rear spring bracket). The above link I posted is the factory literature / specs of the different models.

Edit: Good link posted above by CStoyer with exact measurements-printable.
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Lambo

Post by Lambo »

Thank you Cstoyer, yes I do have that diagram that I found on this site before posting my question.

And Jeff, since your truck is a 350, I am guessing that my rear frame end would not be the same as yours? Not sure. The history search I did on my truck revealed it had been around before it ended up at a Springfield, MO Lumber yard for many years, and that may be where it got the flat bed put on. I am pretty sure my cab has been changed out somewhere along the line because it does not match the paint code on the door. However, I think whoever made the change also changed the door tag as the SN matches the frame number best I can tell.

I appreciate the good information, but was really hoping someone could share a pic or two of the stock rear frame on a 250 4x4 just so I can be certain if I need that cross piece at the end of the frame as I am trying to return my bump back to original config.
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

Lambo

The first picture shows the cross member in the frame from under the truck just between the support for the hitch and the hitch main drop. Sorry best I have before I started to restore this truck. The larger piece you see between the frame rails aft of the cross member was a 4" x 4" solid bar of steel. I have no idea why the PO put this in there but it doesn't belong there that's for sure.
IMG_2979 (600 x 450).jpg
The second pictures shows the frame rails without the cross member as I removed it for blasting and paint. I left the hitch on the frame for now till I get the frame cleaned and painted and the original cross member replaced. After that the current hitch will be replace with a Curt hitch or Reese. I had never seen a hitch like this one on this truck but I guess it would work, just looks odd. If you need a picture of the rear cross member I can get it for you.
IMG_4628 (600 x 450).jpg
cstoyer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
68 F250 4x4
Lambo

Post by Lambo »

Thank you, these are helpful. It doesn't look like there is any type of cross member at tail end of frame rails, correct? I will try to get some pictures of what I am dealing with on Friday.
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

Correct. There is not a cross member at the very end of the frame rails. The only thing that is bolted to the very end would be the bumper brackets.
bumper-rearstep.jpg

cstoyer
68 F250 4x4
Lambo

Post by Lambo »

I have the day off tomorrow so going to have at getting frame extension cut off. Don't have a torch so will be grinder/cutting wheel and perhaps Sawsall with metal blade. If that doesn't work may have to enlist my son and his plasma cutter.

I have a question regarding the bed bolts. The 67 bed I bought to put on my truck only has six visible round head bolts in the bed floor but LMC shows two more at rear of frame with hex heads, for a total of eight. Since I don't see two more holes in bed floor at rear, where do these two go? I now there are frame holes in that location. Also LMC shows some type of insulator that goes between bed and frame at bolt holes, are those stock application and needed?

Thanks
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

The hex bolts do not protrude into the cargo area of the bed as they nut and bolt to the rail under the bed floor at the end of the bed. You should only see six "square" holes in the bed floor for a carriage bolt. I did not have any insulators between the frame rails and bed but I cannot confirm if there aver was any.

I attached two pictures of my bed floor after media blasting. Its not the best looking bed floor because it was a municipal truck but its not rusted either.
68 F250 4x4
Lambo

Post by Lambo »

Well I was successful in getting frame trimmed back to stock spec yesterday. I have attached a photo of what it looked like before and after. What a previous owner had done was to cut the back portion of another frame off and reverse it to lengthen the frame. You can see in the photo the extra c channel iron that is welded to inside of frame. Haven't decided yet if I will take it out or not as it is welded in through bolt holes in several spots. If doesn't interfere with putting step bumper brackets in I am leaning toward leaving it. Any thoughts on that?

I also attached photo of what my truck looked like in the dually configuration with the flat bed on it before I started putting back to stock setup.Putting the flat bed with hydraulic lift on Craigslist today if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your help with this frame issue.
frameuncut.jpg
framecut.jpg
68f250duals.JPG
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

I'm a little unclear on your project. Is this a 2x4 your converting to 4x4 or did someone put a flat bed on the 4x4 with a set of dual wheels?

cstoyer
68 F250 4x4
Lambo

Post by Lambo »

It is a 4x4 that someone put the flat bed and duals on. Duals are now gone and flat bed off. I have a styleside bed to put back on it.