Exhaust Manifold

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

ezmerf

Exhaust Manifold

Post by ezmerf »

What's the secret to removing the right exh manifold without breaking the studs.Can't get a nut cracker to them.This is a 72 360 High Boy
Lee

Re: Exhaust Manifold

Post by Lee »

I feel your pain.

I usually soak the studs with penetrating oil for a few days before hand.

Then using as little force as possible ease them out. .... on stubborn ones I even try to tighten them a small amount to break them loose.

Lee
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

It all depends on where you live. in the rust belt you'll need to heat them up cherry red , with an acytelene torch .
then carefully work them loose .
The top ones are the worst. heat the tab on the head. the bottom may not need heat.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

Use lots of copper based anti seize on reassembly to help with removal next time :2cents:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
ezmerf

Post by ezmerf »

I've used PB and even brake fluid.Also used turbo torch.The trk must have came from up north for it is ate up with rust.Wish I could get to them with nut cracker.Also as far as doing it again I'm 65 the trk is 44 so hopefully this will be the last time.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

I am NOT a fan or believer in miracle potions like a lot of people are but I have to say I'm impressed with "Liquid Wrench". It actually works like a liquid wrench! I have always been a user of wd-40 but have switched and it's cheap at Wal-Mart.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Does the exh. manifold have studs? can you chew off the nut with a dremel or something?
DONT snap the studs.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

50/50 mix of acetone and trans fluid will work fantastic

Also after you do this you can heat the upper exhaust face and melt some candle wax where it runs down onto the bolt threads

The bottom bolts have never given me any problems
ezmerf

Post by ezmerf »

Merry Christmas to you guys and thanks for responding.
bwlyon

Post by bwlyon »

If it is really rusty, plan on lots of presoaking (days). If that doesn't work get the torch out and heat the head around the top bolts. The trick is to be very patient, and even then your not guaranteed to get them all out without breaking one. If you can get a bolt broke loose, gently back and forth (loosen then tighten), add penetrating fluid and repeat. Eventually they will come out, but plan on working at this for hours not minutes!! GOOD LUCK
bwlyon

Post by bwlyon »

If it is really rusty, plan on lots of presoaking (days). If that doesn't work get the torch out and heat the head around the top bolts. The trick is to be very patient, and even then your not guaranteed to get them all out without breaking one. If you can get a bolt broke loose, gently back and forth (loosen then tighten), add penetrating fluid and repeat. Eventually they will come out, but plan on working at this for hours not minutes!! GOOD LUCK
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

I would add this: You are not guaranteed success here. Some may and probably will break off. Then it's either attempt to drill them out which is difficult due to limited access and it's hard to drill straight. When mine broke off, I just pulled the heads and sent them to the machine shop for extraction. Something that has been exposed to the elements for 50 years and thousands of heating up and cooling down cycles should be expected to be difficult to remove. :cuss:
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

If it's a bolt in cast iron with a through hole a cutting torch will do a good job,just heat it till the bolt is red hot and hit the O2 lever it will blow out the steel and not affect the cast. Let it cool and run a bottoming tap through it to clean out the slag,you can do the same thing in a blind hole but it's a bit more difficult as it all has to come out the front of the hole and back at you. The key is that a oxy-acetylene torch won't cut cast iron, I have used this with good results on the top exhaust manifold bolts on FE heads in the vehicle, you just need to put a piece of sheet metal behind the hole to deflect the slag when it comes out the back of the hole... :2cents:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?