69 4x4 Axle swap question

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

72 brownie

69 4x4 Axle swap question

Post by 72 brownie »

Hey yall, question for you guys....
Ive been looking around for axle swap threads and have not found anything that would pertain to my situation so maybe there is someone that could chime in that has either seen this happen or has done it.

I have a 69 f-250 factory high boy with the stock axles, i have a connection on a set of axles off of a 2006 f-350, i realize the frame width is different by about 4 inches and would need some fabing to make it work, im up for the challenge and have the means of doing so but has anyone seen it done?

Andy.
'72 F250 4x2
'68 F250 4x2
'69 F250 Highboy "The Turd"
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: 69 4x4 Axle swap question

Post by eggman918 »

The rear is easy you just move the spring perches to the correct spacing as your leafs and at the same angle between the pinion shaft and perches.
The front is not easy or cheap the front springs are 32" on center that puts the drivers side spring perch in the same space as where the axle tube and pumpkin mate, if you look at how your 44's pumpkin and spring perch are you'll get the idea.You will need to shorten the axle tubes and buy axles the correct length.Shortening the tubes require that pinion angle,spring perch angle and kingpin caster angle all need to be in sync for it to work correctly.
I'm looking to do the same thing in front but I "think" I'm looking at $1,500.00-$2,000.00 to do it and that's with me doing all the work myself :2cents:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
72 brownie

Post by 72 brownie »

eggman918 wrote:The rear is easy you just move the spring perches to the correct spacing as your leafs and at the same angle between the pinion shaft and perches.
The front is not easy or cheap the front springs are 32" on center that puts the drivers side spring perch in the same space as where the axle tube and pumpkin mate, if you look at how your 44's pumpkin and spring perch are you'll get the idea.You will need to shorten the axle tubes and buy axles the correct length.Shortening the tubes require that pinion angle,spring perch angle and kingpin caster angle all need to be in sync for it to work correctly.
I'm looking to do the same thing in front but I "think" I'm looking at $1,500.00-$2,000.00 to do it and that's with me doing all the work myself :2cents:
When you say 32" on center you speak of the coil perches on the axle? I was planning on building custom perches and arms to accommodate the narrower 69 frame, im not sure of the 2006 superduty frame dimensions in the front but i do believe that the superduty frame is 4" wider than the 69 according to some dimensions that i researched on the web. i currently do not have the axles in my posession but im getting them for next to nothing; the idea of having front coils and disc brakes are appealing. As far as shortening the axle i wonder if there is a way to avoid doing so...... more brainstorming :hmm: :hmm:

By the way i will be putting a 5.9 12 valve in it with a ZF-6 and will be running 37" tall tires. :thup:
'72 F250 4x2
'68 F250 4x2
'69 F250 Highboy "The Turd"
fordhillbilly

Post by fordhillbilly »

:thup:

https://youtu.be/q8EL5xFLdTE

I think this might help... it's a dentside but same difference... I did a supersuty axle swap but with leaf sprung axles here:

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=79862
1969 f250 4x4 390ci
2000 f250 4x4 7.3l