2wd to 4wd

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

Jasonlfeaster

2wd to 4wd

Post by Jasonlfeaster »

I'm a new guy here, but not new to these trucks. Back in around 92 or 93, my dad bought a 2wd 67 F100 that had a 6 cyl 300 and a 3 speed transmission (bought it for $200). He had a 2wd 71 F250 that he bought new and was used hard as a work truck. The 67 was too lightweight for what he needed, so we swapped out the front end, rear end, put springs in it out of a 65 1 ton and the rear differential out of my 71, took the NP435 out of his 71 and put it in the 67. He wanted to make it 4wd when we did all this, but there were too many gaps in what we could find out and what we already knew and there wasn't any cool websites to look at and ask questions back then. Being that this truck is now a SWB F250 with a NP435 in it, what front differential does it need? I'm thinking he'd rather have the Dana 44 since he doesn't think much of the front leaf springs and the frame and all would need spring perches and a lot of other work, Dana 44 would be easier. His knees are shot and it's tough on him to work a clutch so what automatic transmission would be good in it? Would it need a Dana 21 transfer case or a different one? The front and rear differential gear ratios need to be the same correct? Seems like common sense but you never know. This little truck is too cool to leave it sitting and not fix it the way he wants it. Rough riding little ******* but it's cool.
robwymer

Re: 2wd to 4wd

Post by robwymer »

I lost track - what year is his cab now?

Anyway, if I read right you want a 4X4 with coils up front and automatic, right? How about a dentside (1973-79) F150? Or if he's attached to the cab, check out the chassis comparison tech article and look into mounting his cab onto a dentside 4X4 F150 with coil spring front end and automatic tranny.
67 F-100 Flareside, 300, Offenhauser 360, Holley 390, Duraspark and MSD ignition, NP-435 4-speed, 3.55 Dana 60, and it will absolutely roast 30" rear tires taking off in 2nd (the one time I tried scared the Bejeezus out of me)

Next engine mod: RV cam (252*)

"They just don't make 'em like they used to."
Jasonlfeaster

Post by Jasonlfeaster »

The cab/body/frame are a 67 SWB F100. Front/rear end are 1971, rear leaf springs are 1965 1 ton. I'd like to keep it 3/4 ton, so Dana 60 front end and leaf springs. Has a Warner 4 spd transmission.
Jasonlfeaster

Post by Jasonlfeaster »

Crap I forgot he doesn't like the leaf springs in the front so yeah, Dana 44 with coil springs. And I was wrong in the first post about the NP435. It's a Warner.