Bed Bolt Holes - Frame Swap

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

Red450IH

Bed Bolt Holes - Frame Swap

Post by Red450IH »

Quick back ground. I'm putting a LWB 72 F-100 2WD Body on a 74 F-250 4WD frame.

The 72 is still all together while the 74 frame gets cleaned and painted.

The 74 frame is a bare rolling frame - no body on it. I do not have any of the 74 body.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out where the 2 inch difference between the frames are behind the cab. I know from the cab forward is all the same. I know the 67-72 Wheel base is 131 inches while 73-79 Wheel base is 133 inches.

Questions:

1.) Will the 74 frame bed bolt holes line up with the 72 bed bolt holes?

2.) If yes to above, will using the 74 bed bolt holes center the axle in the 72 bed and leave a 2 inch wider gap between cab and bed? Similar to the truck shown on this page http://www.fordification.com/tech/chass ... arison.htm

I have done searches looking for the answer but haven't come across any mention of this.

Some information given in this post, but talks about cutting 2 inches off the rear of the frame.

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =9&t=73971
zazoos

Re: Bed Bolt Holes - Frame Swap

Post by zazoos »

Hi Red,

I am currently swapping a 71 F250 2wd onto a 73 F250 4wd, so we should be in the same situation. From what I understand you can leave the wheelbase and mount the bed lined up over the wheel, or close to the cab or split the difference. Not for sure on the F100 beds but on the F250 beds the 67-72 bolt holes do not line up as the frame width on the 73 and up is different. I would imagine this is the same for the your 2wd. (I could be wrong, but that is how I understand it.) In regards to dealing with the wheel base, I moved my rear leaf spring hangers forward 1 3/4 inches which you can see in my signature link.
zazoos

Re: Bed Bolt Holes - Frame Swap

Post by zazoos »

Hmmm,

After looking over the link you provided, it is saying the frame width is the same, which sure makes me think the 71 beds should bolt right onto the 73 and up frame.