Question on Running Amplifier

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Cal2121

Question on Running Amplifier

Post by Cal2121 »

I have a 68 f250 CS with a freshly rebuilt 390. I put in a new stock-type alternator when I put the engine. I have 6x9 speakers in the doors and 6.5 speakers in the hump console. Right now they are just running off an aftermarket Sony deck. I have an MTX 75.4 (https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68 ... R75.4.html) 400 watt amplifier laying around and was thinking I could hook it up in my truck. This wouldn't be anything major, but I wanted to make sure my stock electrical system would work, as I do not really want to upgrade it just to use the amplifier. Would this overtax my electrical system?

Thanks for any input.
Lee

Re: Question on Running Amplifier

Post by Lee »

Hi,

The stock Alternator for these trucks were rated for 60-70 amps.

A 70 amp alternator equates to 840 Watt. So,... in theory this could drive a 400watt Amp. but,... you also have to consider how many Watt the truck requires just to run... especially at night with the lights on and blower motor running, wipers, ignition.

If you do choose to install the amp, I would run a dedicated and fused heavy power cable straight from the Amp to the battery to avoid taxing the 50 year old cab wiring.

Lee
Cal2121

Post by Cal2121 »

Lee,

Thank you very much for that input. Exactly what I was looking for. If I install the amp, I will definitely run power from the battery directly to the amp.

Thanks again.

Craig
QSA United

Post by QSA United »

Cal2121 wrote:I have a 68 f250 CS with a freshly rebuilt 390. I put in a new stock-type alternator when I put the engine. I have 6x9 speakers in the doors and 6.5 speakers in the hump console. Right now they are just running off an aftermarket Sony deck. I have an MTX 75.4 (https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68 ... R75.4.html) 400 watt amplifier laying around and was thinking I could hook it up in my truck. This wouldn't be anything major, but I wanted to make sure my stock electrical system would work, as I do not really want to upgrade it just to use the amplifier. Would this overtax my electrical system?

Thanks for any input.
I currently have two JBL Club-5501's (1, 300 watts each) in mine. PM me for some photos.
Keep on rockin' FORDward!