speedo gears

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

takehikes

speedo gears

Post by takehikes »

My odometer isnt working, speedo is fine.

I suspect a gear is bad in the odometer and was wondering where you can get them BEFORE I tear it apart.
1968 F100 SWB Flareside, 240-6, 3 speed, 3.70 rear, bone stock and rust free.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: speedo gears

Post by basketcase0302 »

"takehikes"]My odometer isn't working, speedo is fine.

I suspect a gear is bad in the odometer and was wondering where you can get them BEFORE I tear it apart.
Obsolete part as far as I know-you'd have to replace the entire speedometer. I torn into one once and the gears are very intricate like clock works and very fragile.
There was once a speedometer shop down in Naples Florida that repaired my EB speedo once but I don't see him anymore.
Google speedometer repair and be prepared to pay a decent amount as it is a dying specialty along with the knowledge in the digital age. :(
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

From memory, there's a worm gear on the end of the cable that drives the odometer, and a magnet that spins to drive the speedometer. These are part of the speedo/odo assembly, though, not part of the cable. Like basketcase suggests, you might have to replace the whole thing, or try finding a unit at your local junk yard to scavenge for parts and fix it yourself.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

Whole clusters on ebay used to be able to be had for about 10 plus shipping.