Led halo headlights ?

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Led halo headlights ?

Post by Lone Ranger »

I've seen the led halo headlights on jeeps and they look kinda cool and aggressive. Also if they are brighter and use less juice that's worth it too. Has anybody tried these in our trucks? It definitely wouldn't be a "stock" look but more custom- maybe totally out of place too. Does anybody know anything about these lights?
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
MadMike

Re: Led halo headlights ?

Post by MadMike »

You would need to find a kit that is designed to replace the 7" round sealed beam headlights.
The other crux is to find a kit that isn't some cheap knockoff kit with directional LEDs in a ring and a reduced effective headlight.
-Michael
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I guess my initial thought is that LEDs pull less current, so that can impact the whole lighting system (i.e., you replace the signal bulbs with LEDs, and now the blinker cycles through at a faster rate, etc.). I agree that you need to find an integrated kit to replace the headlights; otherwise, the results are somewhat unpredictable.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

My experience is the aftermarket LED's don't follow .gov specs on focus or projections and you'll get a huge white zone in front of the lamp and reflectors a long way off will be lit but nothing in between. I tried one on my Sportster and it was scary dark 50' in front of the bike and no idea where the deer were.

I bought a pair for the truck and never installed them because the face was flat, not convex (?) and they didn't look period correct. Personally I love how the old tech glass bulb projects the bubbles of light off to the side when going through the alley behind the house. It just looks cool.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
MadMike

Post by MadMike »

What I meant by directional was not related to turn signal lights. As Ranchero pointed out, cheap LEDs, or a board made badly with cheap LEDs, makes the light glaring, non directional(focus), and does not illuminate the road. Those LEDs are not designed for lighting. At best it will blind oncoming traffic. Don't be that guy.

If you can find a projector headlight that will fit in place of the 7" standared sealed beam, then you might be able to find one with the correct halo ring. But those kind of lights tend to be part of the 'pro-touring' crowd and a good set will probably be uber priced.
LMC Truck does have a halo headlight LMC Headlights. I have no idea how well they would work.
-Michael
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

MadMike wrote:What I meant by directional was not related to turn signal lights.
I wasn't meaning to imply that you were talking about turn signals, so I apologize if I misled. I used the turn signals as an example of what COULD happen if someone installs a cheap kit. You can't simply replace an incandescent bulb with LEDs, because it may impact the rest of the electrical system that is connected to the headlights. In my example, replacing the turn signals causes them to blink at a higher rate. However, a quality kit from LMC is probably designed to work properly. Sorry again for any confusion I caused.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.