'72 F250 oil pressure gauge not reading: need hi-res photo of back of '72 cluster

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

farmallmta

'72 F250 oil pressure gauge not reading: need hi-res photo of back of '72 cluster

Post by farmallmta »

I'd like to view a high resolution photo of the back of a '72 dash cluster so I can get some idea of connections back there without having to remove the entire instrument cluster from the dash.

Thanks for any help you can offer with a high resolution photo of the back of the '72 dash cluster.
Edit/Delete Message
Last edited by farmallmta on Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: '72 F250 oil pressure gauge not reading

Post by sargentrs »

The oil pressure switch works by grounding out at the engine block. Remove the wire from the switch and ground it to the block. Your gauge should peg out to H. If so, your oil pressure switch is bad. If not, then move up to the instrument cluster and check the pin on the plug from the harness. Should read voltage with key on. It's the white wire with the red stripe. http://www.fordification.com/tech/wirin ... _quick.jpg If you have voltage at that end but the gauge is not moving when you ground it, then suspect a wiring short somewhere between the 2 points.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
farmallmta

Post by farmallmta »

sargentrs wrote:The oil pressure switch works by grounding out at the engine block. Remove the wire from the switch and ground it to the block. Your gauge should peg out to H. If so, your oil pressure switch is bad. If not, then move up to the instrument cluster and check the pin on the plug from the harness. Should read voltage with key on. It's the white wire with the red stripe. http://www.fordification.com/tech/wirin ... _quick.jpg If you have voltage at that end but the gauge is not moving when you ground it, then suspect a wiring short somewhere between the 2 points.
Thanks. Is there a male terminal on the back of the gauge cluster, approximately behind the oil gauge that a female lead slips onto? Or is the oil pressure gauge controlled by a printed circuit fed by a multiple plug elsewhere on the dash cluster? I'm aware of the change to printed circuits by 1972, that's why I was hoping somebody had a higher resolution photo of the back of the dash cluster. I can feel "terminals" back there, but am not sure if those are component fastening studs or electrical male terminals. Pretty simple question, really, and hoping I don't have to remove the cluster from the dash just to see what the back looks like.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

farmallmta wrote:Or is the oil pressure gauge controlled by a printed circuit fed by a multiple plug elsewhere on the dash cluster? I'm aware of the change to printed circuits by 1972, that's why I was hoping somebody had a higher resolution photo of the back of the dash cluster. I can feel "terminals" back there, but am not sure if those are component fastening studs or electrical male terminals. Pretty simple question, really, and hoping I don't have to remove the cluster from the dash just to see what the back looks like.
It's the above. The harness ends in a 12 pin connector which plugs directly into the printed circuit board on the back of the cluster. I circled it red.
Instrument Cluster Wiring.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
farmallmta

Just what I was needing! Thanks!!!

Post by farmallmta »

:D :D