Starting issue

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Spd649

Starting issue

Post by Spd649 »

I am looking for a little help I have a 1969 Ford F-250 and recently I am having a issue with starting. The truck starts right up but after driving it for 15 minutes and parking it fails to start when returning. As I turn the key I have low power where there isn't enough to crank the engine over. The next turn of the key I have zero power. After a few attempts I am then able to get enough power to start the engine. Since this issue started I have changed the battery, voltage regulator and have checked the alternator. Any help would be greatful. Thank you in advance.
71Fe2O3

Re: Starting issue

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

Did it just start doing this?

Hard starting after running for a while can be due to vapor lock in the fuel line.

If we assume that your problem is electrical, go back to basics, check your connections-battery to ground, battery to solenoid, solenoid to starter, solenoid to distributor and coil, make sure they are clean and tight.

You didn't mention the solenoid-they can go bad, they aren't very expensive, and it may be worth swapping in a new one if it is very old. It grounds to the inner fender via its attachment screws, so check them as well.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
Spd649

Post by Spd649 »

Thank you for the response I have order a new solenoid and plan to replace that next. I don't believe its vapor lock as I have no power what's so ever. The truck is still wired with points and I am wonder if this may cause the problem. Thinking about switching it to electronic
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

No power whatsoever? Or just no power to the starter.
If the latter, it could be the starter is somehow too hot to restart, maybe from exhaust heat?
71Fe2O3

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

Failure to crank indicates a fault in the starter circuit, not the ignition system. The starter circuit consists of the battery, solenoid, starter, and ground, so it is most likely that one of these is bad. Have you tried jumping the solenoid? If the starter cranks when you do this the solenoid is bad. If the starter doesn't crank it is either the starter or the battery. If you do this, be careful, make sure the vehicle is in neutral, and don't zap yourself-the starter draws a lot of amps and you don't want to be in that circuit.

Jzjames made an interesting point. Some headers pass close to the starter and can cause it to overheat. I have not heard of this with factory exhaust systems.

I recommend that you get to the bottom of the starting problem before switching your ignition system. You can spend a good bit of money and time only to create a new set of problems. Though they require some attention, points systems are relatively simple, and problems with them are generally easy to solve. There are some threads on this site attesting to headaches caused by electronic ignition systems. You can replace your points, distributor cap, rotor, condenser and coil for a relatively small amount of money, and properly adjusted points are quite reliable.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
1guydude
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 1guydude »

I had the same issue. Able to drive the truck. stop. come back. dead to nothing. well a little juice....
anyway. Im suspect of my old tired starter. When they are done and overheat. They throw something off inside the starter and it wont ground out. Replace ur starter in my opinion but also check all the start stuff like other poster said. Wiring. Un do all electrical tape and check it all out. Hope that helps
-d
2008 bmw 528i
1967 ford f100
2014 vw tiguan
2016 kawasaki 250f
2015 KTM rc390
2014 audi tt Quatro s
Braaaaap!
Spd649

Post by Spd649 »

Thank you so much for the help I will check the starter next to see if it the problem. I will post a update again thank you all
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Electricity is like water the bigger the hose (cables) the more water (current ) flows.

If you get bigger cables (without the crappy bolt on ends) and a good ground to the block and the solenoid , it will solve a lot of problems.
also you can have a load test done to see how strong you're battery is.