Wiper Delay Wiring Issue

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

71f250

Wiper Delay Wiring Issue

Post by 71f250 »

Hey everyone,

I have a '71 F250 that has the original 2-speed wiper. I bought a delay module and switch on ebay (http://m.ebay.com/itm/252837808104?_mwBanner=1). Unfortunately, when I pulled the dash apart, it looks like a prior owner "Frankenstein-ed" all of the wiring a bit. The stock wiper switch and the connector at the back of it are intact but the other connector (which I assume is usually nearer to the wiper motor itself?) is gone and wires are just connected and covered with electrical tape. It looks like the wires that possibly go to the washer pump (which was removed by someone, along with the spray nozzles - and I don't care about reinstalling) are heading towards the firewall. I think I can ignore these. The other wires that go towards the wiper motor are the ones I think I need to figure out how to connect without the plug-in connector.

I think I've narrowed down the intermittent delay function to two wires that seem to be present in addition to the wires present when comparing the new setup to the old setup and wires. Does anyone know where I should connect these, I'm guessing somewhere within the four wires that go to the wiper motor itself?

Thanks!!!

Matt
Ranchero50

Re: Wiper Delay Wiring Issue

Post by Ranchero50 »

Lok at the schematics and use the wire colors to connect them correctly. I'd also visit a local junk yard and harvest the pigtail from a newer truck to splice into your harness. Simpler and more reliable setup.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
71f250

Re: Wiper Delay Wiring Issue

Post by 71f250 »

Ranchero,

Thanks for the help! The only wiring diagram I was able to find on our site that shows the intermittent function is the 1979 truck version (http://www.fordification.com/tech/wirin ... 9truck.gif), which doesn't mention wire colors. I might be better off finding another pigtail, like you recommended.

Matt