Wiring for a Trailer (and a question on aux tank wire)

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Wiring for a Trailer (and a question on aux tank wire)

Post by colnago »

I was under the truck today, chasing down some mystery wires. There's a harness that used to go to a six-pole trailer plug, but it's been butchered beyond recognition, so I need to replace and rewire. If I'm only wiring for lights, is it better to splice into the truck wiring at the rear end, or run a new harness specific to the trailer, and splice into the system at the front?

On a second question, one of my mystery wires is white. I chased it to an aux gas tank sending unit. Are there standard colors for aux tanks, or is each truck different?

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Lee

Re: Wiring for a Trailer (and a question on aux tank wire)

Post by Lee »

Hi,

If the wiring is butchered as you stated it is,.... I would splice in at the butchered point thus cleaning it up at that location.

Splicing in up front does not cure the present problem in the rear.

Take care,
Lee
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Wiring for a Trailer (and a question on aux tank wire)

Post by colnago »

I got under the truck again today. What a train wreck! I started at the back end, and started working forward on the trailer harness. About three feet forward, it was spliced, and different colors were used at the rear. I figure that the only way is to rip it all out, and start fresh at the front end. At least it's not keeping me off the road, and I can take my time fixing this.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.