Tail Light wiring dilemma

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

DefChef

Tail Light wiring dilemma

Post by DefChef »

OK guys, need a little help.

I have a 1970 F100. When I got it, it had a stepside bed on it. I switched it to a fleetside shortbed. When I sold the bed, I gave up all the tail light wiring. I went out an pulled a fresh set off another fleetside, cleaned it up and re-taped it. When I got under the truck, I noticed 2 things.

First, there are some wiring clips, which I assume went to a trailer wiring setup. How do I get them off and repair?

Second, my new tail light wiring harness has the 2 big connectors which is perfect. The main wiring harness has 2 additional smaller connectors which there is nothing on the new tail light harness to connect to. What do I do about this. Is there a difference between a stepside main wiring harness and a fleetside? Yikes, I'm stuck! Any help or direction would be great!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:help:

1970 F-100
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Tail Light wiring dilemma

Post by sargentrs »

Looks like somebody did a little modification to your harness for a trailer maybe. Take a look at this diagram http://www.fordification.com/tech/wirin ... master.jpg On the right hand edge is a good representation of the original wiring and connections. Anything different than that has probably been modified by a prior owner. To my knowledge flare side and fleet side had the same rear wiring harness.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Ditto. Bed harnesses can be a PITA due to corrosion. I despise that style wire tap as it does nothing to protect the copper and typically is the leading cause of light failures. If it were me I'd cut back and replace the connectors and wiring (with late model stuff if needed) and add a pigtail for trailer lights now.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
DefChef

Post by DefChef »

Ok, so I got all the trailer connectors off and I'm good there. The only thing still confusing me is that coming off of the main wiring harness are the 2 large connectors as well as 2 yellow connectors for the side marker lights. The issue is that the tail light wiring harness that connects to the main also has the same yellow connectors (one on each side of the truck) coming off of the connector that hooks up to the tail light pigtail. What do I do with the 2 coming off the main?
:help:

1970 F-100
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

That would appear to be the pigtails that go to the rear side marker lights. Wire #984 in the diagram. One comes from the main harness plug and the other comes off of the tail light harness plug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.