Head light Alinement

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

jf100

Head light Alinement

Post by jf100 »

Does anyone know how to set headlights? I remember reading something a long time ago. How far back does the truck has to be from a wall? How high from the ground should the lights be when turned on? and how far apart from center to center do they need to be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Head light Alinement

Post by Mach428 »

I used the garage door and had the truck parked about 10' back. I got the headlight low-beams straight and even horizontally, then took it for a drive to see how it looked on the road. You will need to do some tweaking, and remember that when you change the up-down adjustment, it affects the side-to-side adjustment
Kurt Combs
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Kurt Combs »

This is from memory, and mine isn't what it used to be. You adjust the high beams on level pavement to be at the same level as the headlights. I would drive up to the wall, or garage door, and mark their center pattern on the vertical surface. then when you back up about twenty feet you adjust them to hit the mark at the same level and side to side location. So high beams should be shooting out level and straight ahead, low beams take care of themselves. Again, this is from memory and I haven't adjusted mine in years.
Kurt
1972 F-250
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I want to say mark a wall at 3' where the lamp is brightest, back up 20' and adjust so the brightest is 6" below that. Mine is parallel or slightly above parallel and I don't get flashed. I adjusted them so they weren't shining on the folks in front of me's head in a normal height car. Same for the bike.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.