Aftermarket Steering Wheel Horn Wiring

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

tjbone

Aftermarket Steering Wheel Horn Wiring

Post by tjbone »

Having trouble wiring up the horn switch for an aftermarket steering wheel for a 1972 Ford F-100 truck. I've installed a new horn relay and horn, checked all wiring to the harness connector at the base of the steering column and everything works. I've been able to determine that the horn switch needs two wires, one for power and one for ground to make the horn relay activate the horn. I've tried to check the spring loaded pin that contacts the copper ring on the back of the wheel mounting hub to provide power, but there doesn't seem to be power there. How do I get power from the connector at the base of the steering column to the spring loaded pin? There is a wire coming out of the connector heading up the steering column, but no luck with power at the pin. Was hoping not to have to take apart the steering column. Also, my assumption is that the steering column /shaft is grounded. Is this correct? There doesn't appear to be any other wiring to provide the ground to make the horn switch-to-horn relay circuit complete. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
tjbone

Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheel Horn Wiring

Post by tjbone »

After a little more work, power is re-established to the pin below the steering wheel hub. But, horn does not energize because steering wheel shaft is not grounded to make the horn relay circuit. When I ground the pin to other items in the steering casing, such as the screws holding the turn signal mechanism, the horn works. How do I ensure the steering shaft is grounded? Where is the steering shaft-to-ground connection made? Thanks for any help!!
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

Here's a picture of a rag joint showing the electrical connection. http://static.speedwaymotors.com/RS/SR/ ... b87098.jpg

You can also use a piece of wire with connectors between the two bolts for the ground.
tjbone

Post by tjbone »

Post by Canonman67 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:23 pm

Here's a picture of a rag joint showing the electrical connection. http://static.speedwaymotors.com/RS/SR/ ... b87098.jpg

You can also use a piece of wire with connectors between the two bolts for the ground.

I don't recall this when I looked at it searching for the steering shaft ground, but , I didn't look closely. I'll look again.

I ended up creating a ground by fabricating a ring with lug to sit underneath the steering wheel hub spring and secured to the existing turn signal mechanism mounting screw. I had to make a ground wire to attach between the horn button and the wheel mount which is bolted to the steering wheel hub. All is well now, horn works fine!!

Thanks for the info!!

Tony
pattonjones18

Post by pattonjones18 »

Hey TJbone,

Firstly I am a huge N00b so take that into account... I'm starting to work on my 1970 F-250 little by little. I'm really looking for any tips and direction in identifying the horn relay, fuse box, and just understanding how the horn works specifically in these Ford Trucks.

My horn wasn't working, and I've determined that the actual horn works once given power directly from the battery, so the issue must be one of many possibilities from the relay to corroded wires to something in the steering shaft or steering wheel.

Can you tell me how to identify the horn relay, and/or how the horn works with the fuse box in your truck? When I look at my fuse box underneath my dashboard on the driver's side, all I see are fuses for lights, wipers, ac, etc, but nothing labeled "horn". Any insights on that?

Sorry for the rambling post, but I would really appreciate any leads so I can continue to build some knowledge about my truck.

Patton
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

The horn relay is located under the hood on the inner fender well between the battery and starter solenoid. It has a silver top and a three prong connection.
1969 Ford F100 Styleside standard cab 360 C6
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

If the horn is still inop after verifying the relay, install a jumper wire across the steering coupler aka rag joint and the test the horn again.

The rag joint has a thin copper jumper bridge that sometimes breaks and causes a no-honk situation.
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang