Switched 12v accessory fused panel power source

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

mulletmobile

Switched 12v accessory fused panel power source

Post by mulletmobile »

So here is a question I am trying to determine an answer to. I want to run a fused accessory panel that will be activated by a relay to allow power into a fused junction or fused panel to provide power to accessories needed switched or ignition power. Things like another power port for cell charging, switched power for a new radio, a couple of additional gauges, whatever else may need power down the road. I already have a Ford Taurus fused maxi fuse panel that will be going under the hood for constant power needs. So my question is this, where can I activate the relay for the fused panel? I thought about using the 3 way connector (black/green stripe wire) behind the instrument panel. It would be a minimal power draw only needing the small amount to open the relay once the ignition is turned on.

I have been doing some research here, there and everywhere on this subject. So far my research has lead me to the Blue Sea Systems 5025 panel seen here:
https://www.bluesea.com/products/5025/S ... _and_Cover

Some great info I found on the subject was also found in this FJ forum here:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/s ... -pics.html

I have not picked out the relay to use and trying to determine what size I should use as well as if I should use a circuit breaker in the constant hot wire before it reaches the relay. My inclination is yes. It may all be overkill, but I also only want to do this one time.

Please if anyone has any comments, concerns or suggestions, let me know. If you have pictures of your setup, install or anyone you have seen or used for reference, post them up. I know I am not the only one looking to do this, but sometimes it helps to have feedback on installs that maybe didn't work as planned or you found could have done better.

The parts for the 3G alternator are already on hand and I will be adding the Hollister Road relay kit to run the T-Bird 2speed fan. I also will be adding in the upgraded headlights (probably an H4 system as I doubt the wife will buy into the LED systems). Let me know if there is anything I am missing and as always, thanks in advance!
1971 F-250, Wimbeldon White, 360, PB, dealer add-on A/C (A.R.A. brand), 1970 coded interior (23 - Med. blue/Light blue) with 42,000 miles.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Switched 12v accessory fused panel power source

Post by sargentrs »

Here's what I did on my '64 Fairlane. Same fuse panel concept applies to our trucks. http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 7&p=728289 I got the fuse block for $20 off Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-32V-12-Way- ... 2314106596 Being a '71, your truck probably has the carb throttle solenoid wiring already installed, my '70 did. If you don't actually have that solenoid in use on your carburetor, look for an unconnected blue wire laying alongside the driver's side valve cover, possibly in the same harness that has the leads to your temp and oil pressure sender. I had seen mine laying there for years without knowing what it was and then needed a switched power source for a new radio. Thought, "wonder if this will work" and sure enough it did. If you don't have it, you can always come off of your "I" terminal on the solenoid. That's what I did when installing the Duraspark ignition, using a relay, on both my truck and the Fairlane.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
mulletmobile

Post by mulletmobile »

sargentrs good info. I had read about the carb solenoid wire a couple of days ago and figured that was the wire hanging loose on the firewall. That wire would also work and may be a better idea since I doubt I will be using it for anything else and can always undo it. I am starting to think the Taurus fuse panel may be overkill for what I need under the hood, but I like the sealed nature and the heavier build of it for any future constant power needs. Your design is not far off from what I am thinking about for the truck. I just have to go and find a place to put the panel as I really would prefer the switched power to be inside the cab but my AC under dash unit is HUGE. Your small fused panel may be better than what I found.
1971 F-250, Wimbeldon White, 360, PB, dealer add-on A/C (A.R.A. brand), 1970 coded interior (23 - Med. blue/Light blue) with 42,000 miles.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I mounted a long terminal strip on the bottom dash brace. That way I wouldn't be pulling the cluster to do work. I wouldn't sweat the Sea systems parts, they are expensive and honestly don't stand up in a marine environment. Pick up a couple Bosch ice cube relays out of '90's Fords and wire them in with a 20A thermal overload by the battery for protection with 14ga wire.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
mulletmobile

Post by mulletmobile »

Ranchero, I will go hunting for those relays soon. Local yard has been pretty good to me so far so time to look for more gold. I would never pay full price for the Blue Sea stuff, but we had pretty good luck with them on our boat at work in the salt air. I found you can pick them up pretty cheap online though by searching. I found the one I linked for $20 so I felt it was worth the money. I looked at a couple others but there were complaints of the lids not staying on them. I like the Painless ones but they are even higher priced! I cant believe what they want for those either. Pulling the cluster always makes me cringe and afraid I am going to break it.