Help with no charge issue

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

ThinLizzy13

Help with no charge issue

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

I can't seem to figure out the no charge issue on my '67 F250 CS with factory gauges (not lights) Last weekend I switched from points over to DSII. Fired the truck up and went to the dump. Everything seemed fine but when I started the truck at the dump it cranked slow a few times then fired up.

When I returned home I shut the truck off. It cranked slow when I tried to start it again. I noticed that my engine block heater was leaking onto my frame to Battery ground. I cleaned it off, stopped the leak, and tried to start the truck. It fired up, but my voltmeter showed no charge. I have several extra voltage regulators and alternators. Simple fix, or so I thought....

After going through my spare alternators and volt regs with no luck I cleaned the grounds - bat to frame, frame to engine, engine to fire wall, volt reg to rad support, and alt grounds.
I then checked continuity of wires between alternator and battery/solenoid. No blown fuses, and the resistance checks out good (factory wiring).

Since none of my spares worked, I then began the throwing of new parts at the problem :lol:
New alternator, new voltage regulator, new ground strap from battery to frame. Still nothing.

Next I did what I should've done from the beginning. Consulted my shop manual and searched forums.

After performing a field test I know that my alternator is indeed good. All of my grounds are good. I'm 99% sure the voltage regulator is good. My battery has 12.6 volts off and 12.4 running. I've only ever seen too high voltage from a bad regulator. My wiring is *almost* good. I have found that the S terminal (green w/red stripe) at the voltage reg does not have power when the key is in run.

Since the problem seems to coincide with when installed DSII I'm wondering if when I removed the dash if I knocked something loose. It appears as if the S terminal gets power from the ignition switch through the gauge in the dash? I know the ign switch is sending power to it, I just ran out of time and couldn't get to pulling the dash. Not sure if I'm on the right track here, but I'm at my wits end and don't know where else to start looking... :hw:
'63 F100 Uni 223 3OT
'67 F250 CS 352 4Spd
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Help with no charge issue

Post by sargentrs »

The S terminal only gets power when the key is in the start position. Once the key drops back to the run position, the power moves from the S terminal to the I terminal to power the coil. When installing a DSII system, I always like to use a relay with the red/green wire being the trigger source for the relay and pulling a full 12v to the coil from the battery.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
ThinLizzy13

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Well that explains why I have no power in Run :lol:
Edit: are you talking about the voltage regulator S terminal or the solenoid?

Should I have changed my voltage regulator wiring? For the DSII I just bypassed the resistor wire and tied in a hot line at the S terminal on the solenoid to the coil. I cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere for a truck with gauges, and my I terminal on the voltage regulator is not used since I don't have a warning light.
'63 F100 Uni 223 3OT
'67 F250 CS 352 4Spd
ThinLizzy13

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

I fixed the issue! When installing the DSII I used the red/green wire at the ignition for the hot run. I left the the red/green wire disconnected and unplugged the brown from the "I" terminal at the solenoid, and disconnected the wire from the coil.

I'm not sure from looking at the wiring diagrams why this worked, but connecting the red/green wire back in and plugging the brown wire back into the "I" terminal at the solenoid made my alternator start charging again. I now have power at the "S" terminal of the voltage regulator in run :hmm:

I'm glad it's working, but I don't fully understand why it worked...
'63 F100 Uni 223 3OT
'67 F250 CS 352 4Spd
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Sorry, I meant the S and I terminals on the solenoid. Whenever I'm wiring a DSII system in, I leave the original wiring in place. Never had it cause any issues and keeps the integrity of all the original circuits.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
ThinLizzy13

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

sargentrs wrote:Sorry, I meant the S and I terminals on the solenoid. Whenever I'm wiring a DSII system in, I leave the original wiring in place. Never had it cause any issues and keeps the integrity of all the original circuits.
Thanks, I will be be doing the same thing from now on.
'63 F100 Uni 223 3OT
'67 F250 CS 352 4Spd