No turn signals

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

ltodom1

No turn signals

Post by ltodom1 »

I need some help. I know this has been an issue for others based on other treads but can't find an answer to help me with my issue. I have no blinkers (turn signals). Headlights work (high and low), emergency flashers work, brake lights work, but no turn signal. No clicking noise and no flashers. I swapped the two flashers around and same outcome...em flashers work but turn signal doesn't. Turn switch is newly replaced and that didn't fix it. I did notice some rust on the fuse holder and tried my best to get it off with sand paper but still nothing. What's the best way to test the fuse holder. I think it has to be there since my windshield washer pump doesn't work either and I think those are the same fuse. Wipers themselves work but not the pump for the water. Any suggestions???
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: No turn signals

Post by HIO Silver »

Test the fuse holder? By checking for voltage using a multimeter on either side of the fuse. There is no excuse to not have a digital voltmeter... Harbor Freight has coupons for them for free! And otherwise are only $8 or so.

Start troubleshooting by tracing the signal (that is supposed to be present) back to its source according to the wiring diagram applicable to your year and model.
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

You didn't mention what year your truck is. May make a difference. Here's a '70 diagram http://www.fordification.com/tech/wirin ... master.jpg . Do your parking lights work? If your parking lights and emergency flashers work, sounds like it may be an issue with the connection at one of the harness plugs. In '67-'68, the parking lights did not come on when the headlights were on. Beginning in '69 they did come on when the headlights were on. Start with your ground at the marker light housing. Make sure you're getting a good, clean connection. Then move to the marker lights 2 prong plug. One prong is hot when the headlight switch is on. '67-'68 when the headlight switch knob was pulled out 1 click, '69+ they stayed on when the knob was pulled out to the 2nd click, too. The other prong is only hot when the turn signal switch is flipped L/R. Then follow those wires back to the 3 prong plug and test for power at all terminals with their various switches on/off. Keep tracing backward until you find the gap in power. I hate electrical gremlins! :cuss:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
ltodom1

Post by ltodom1 »

Thanks Randy. It is a '71 and I will run those checks this evening. I know it has to be something simple but those seem to be the ones that stump me the most. lol.
ltodom1

Post by ltodom1 »

Just to update the parking lights do work as do the emergency flashers. But none of the "blinkers" still. Front or back. I will check the wiring and bulbs tomorrow. Too dark already today...ugh.
ltodom1

Post by ltodom1 »

Update...when I put my volt meter on the right side of the fuse for the blinker and ground the black lead to the truck, the blinker works. Does that mean I have a bad ground somewhere??
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

ltodom1 wrote:Update...when I put my volt meter on the right side of the fuse for the blinker and ground the black lead to the truck, the blinker works. Does that mean I have a bad ground somewhere??
Yes!!... your test lead is creating a path to ground...
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

When dealing with lighting problems, I always start by cleaning the grounds. They are exposed to the elements more so than anything in the interior of the car. Most recently, on my Fairlane, I had an issue with all four headlights being on all the time, although the outer lights were just dimly lit. Found a broken headlight ground wire on the radiator support. New terminal, new screw and all was fixed. then my driver's side marker light went very dim. Pulled the housing, cleaned up the mating surfaces and the mounting studs and reinstalled, all was fixed. Another problem with a tail light on my '74 Dart. Couldn't get it to work for nothing. Finally saw a little corrosion in the bulb housing where the pins lock in. A little steel wool on the tip of a screwdriver to clean it up and it worked fine. I would suggest to first remove your turn signal housings and grounds and give them a good brushing/cleaning. Then take some steel wool on a a screwdriver, scrub the inside of the bulb sockets and install new bulbs. The tail light housings also ground to the sheet metal in the housing of the bed. Remove the screws that hold the trim and housing on, brush the threads and the mating surfaces and then run the screws in and out a few times. Good grounds are the heart of the lighting systems. As for the fuse holder, do the same thing with steel wool and a screwdriver, just disconnect the battery first.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
ltodom1

Post by ltodom1 »

Problem solved....took the fuse out and found some rust on the right side of the holder. scrubbed and cleaned it real well and wala now have turn signals. I knew it would be something simple but guess those are usually the most difficult to solve. Thanks for all the advice guys.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Congrats! Glad to hear you got 'em working. :thup:
Randy
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

Woop-woop! Congrats.

Let there be light..... light...... light..... light..... light.......