Radio power wire

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

fonfixer

Radio power wire

Post by fonfixer »

Ok all, I've owned my truck going on 20 years and its taken me that long to getting around to fixing the radio. I did radio repair in the military on Vietnam era equipment, the same as my truck. I finally collected the right test equipment and got it pinned down to a bad transistor, with the replacement arriving in the mail today. Fifteen minutes out in the shop to put it in and bench test and the world is right again. One problem, where is the power wire in the truck? I can find the speaker wire no problem, and there is one wire with the end cut off under the dash in that area but it leads to the ignition switch. I understand that the radio will be switched power but kinda thought it would go through the fuse block. I've searched the schematics here at the website and the is no mention of a radio until you get to '72 models. Nothing for a '67. Anyone know the CORRECT place to power the radio from?

Also if anyone needs help with their AM radio PM me.
1967 F100 swb 240 single barrel, manuel choke, three on the tree, style side
1967 F100 swb 240 single barrel, manuel choke, three on the tree, flare side
2011 F150 Crewcab Lariet w/Ecoboost (runs like a scalded dog!)
2019 Transit
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Radio power wire

Post by Busboy »

I've installed several factory a.m. radios in 67's through 69's and they all have an inline fuse in the black power wire for the radio. It is about 6 inches from the radio itself and the fuse holder has always been made of white plastic. It sounds like maybe you have half of it left. The wire goes over the steering column and plugs into, as you said, a terminal on the fuse block that works in acc. and run positions. I have a radio that needs repair and I'll p.m. you.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.