Brake and Reverse lights

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

NewOrleansMan

Brake and Reverse lights

Post by NewOrleansMan »

Hey folks,

I am currently having some issues with my lights on my 71' F250. As of now my turn signals flash at a fast rate. All 4 of the lights work. When I turn my head lights on, my front turn signals do not work. Also when I leave my headlights on for a while, my left turn signal indicator on my dash stays on until I shut my lights off. My headlights stay on for 15 or so minutes before shutting off too. I am not sure where to start with this.

Also, neither my brake lights or reverse lights are working. My tail lights function when I have my headlights on, but nothing when I engage my brakes. I thought my reverse lights may be an issue with my neutral safety switch, because My truck does not always turn over unless I have the shift lever in the exact park position. I did some adjustments, not the neutral safety switch.

I was thinking I may be able to replace my turn signal switch in my steering column and that would solve some of my problems? Would that make a difference with my brake and reverse lights? What do you think causes my headlights to fail?

If anyone has run into these problems before, knows a solution, or knows of a thread on this truck saving website I would be grateful to to hear from you.
1971 F250 Camper Special Sport Custom
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Brake and Reverse lights

Post by cep62 »

NewOrleansMan wrote:My tail lights function when I have my headlights on, but nothing when I engage my brakes.
That may be a ground problem .
Run a temporerary ground from the battery to the light and see if that helps.
Last edited by cep62 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Darn fat fingers.
NewOrleansMan wrote:When I turn my head lights on, my front turn signals do not work.
See above
NewOrleansMan wrote:My headlights stay on for 15 or so minutes before shutting off too. I am not sure where to start with this.
Do mean they shut off on their own ? do the come back on?
That might be a switch.

I would try proper grounds before I'd replace parts.
NewOrleansMan

Post by NewOrleansMan »

cep62 wrote: That may be a ground problem .
Run a temporay ground from the battert to the light and see if that helps.
Forgive me for asking, but how do you run a ground from the battery to the light? I am very new to electrical maintenance.
cep62 wrote:Darn fat fingers.
NewOrleansMan wrote:My headlights stay on for 15 or so minutes before shutting off too. I am not sure where to start with this.
Do mean they shut off on their own ? do the come back on?
That might be a switch.

I would try proper grounds before I'd replace parts.
My lights will shut off for a second or two and then come back on. Could my lights overheat?
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Ther's a circut breaker in the headlight switch.
In a direct short the headlights , or taillights will blink .
As it gets older and weaker just having the lights on can over heat it and make them blink , especially the high beams.

Somewhere there is a link to wire in some relays to cure the problem.
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =8&t=48178

The very first diagram is the one for headlight relays. Read on if you want more ideas to improve your truck.
NewOrleansMan

Post by NewOrleansMan »

Looking at the master wiring diagrams linked on fordification, would it be better to use 1970 or 1972 for my 71?
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

NewOrleansMan wrote:Looking at the master wiring diagrams linked on fordification, would it be better to use 1970 or 1972 for my 71?
I would guess 72 but it might depend on when your truck was made ,there shouldn't be that much difference.
NewOrleansMan wrote:Forgive me for asking, but how do you run a ground from the battery to the light? I am very new to electrical maintenance.
I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner.
Basicily a long wire with alligator clips.
Clip it to the negitive post of your battery , then to your tail light or test light , then you know you have a good ground .
Unlike a rusty frame or bumper.
If the light begins to work you know it's a bad ground and can fix it.
If there's no power to the light , you can look for other problems.
RustRed

Post by RustRed »

New Orleans man!!! Did you find the problem? I have the answer if needed.
Wanna-be Rat-Rod: 1971, F-103, SWB, 302, 3 Speed on Column, Holley 7448-2, Headers without mufflers,
Planned Upgades: Holley 1850, Alum. Intake, Lighting Heads, Airbrushed Hood etc...
"On a not so quite night u can hear my Truck Rust!!!!"