Fuel and temp gauge problems

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

gbass82

Fuel and temp gauge problems

Post by gbass82 »

I'm having some troubles on my '69 with both the fuel and temp gauges. They are not reading accurately at all. The fuel gauge reads near empty when the tank is nearly full and the temp gauge stays at "C". The sending unit in the tank is less than a year old as well as the instrument panel voltage regulator. When I ground out the sending unit, the gauge moves to "F". A friend of mine did the same with the wire to the temp sensor as I watched the gauge go to "H". i know that some voltage regulators can be adjusted but I see no way of adjusting this one (looks like the standard unit without the adjusting screw). What should I look at and/or replace? :?
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Fuel and temp gauge problems

Post by basketcase0302 »

gbass82 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:53 pm

I'm having some troubles on my '69 with both the fuel and temp gauges. They are not reading accurately at all. The fuel gauge reads near empty when the tank is nearly full and the temp gauge stays at "C". The sending unit in the tank is less than a year old as well as the instrument panel voltage regulator. When I ground out the sending unit, the gauge moves to "F". A friend of mine did the same with the wire to the temp sensor as I watched the gauge go to "H". i know that some voltage regulators can be adjusted but I see no way of adjusting this one (looks like the standard unit without the adjusting screw). What should I look at and/or replace? :?
This sounds like two separate issues to me if you replaced the IPVR with a new one.
I'd first pull the sending unit back out and ground it to the chassis somewhere with it hanging, (mindful of no sparking from where your grounding it) and move it through it's travel while you watch the gauge. This will rule out the IPVR and the sending unit both. :thup:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
gbass82

Post by gbass82 »

Thanks! I'll try that out and let you know what happens.
gbass82

Post by gbass82 »

The results are in. I pulled it out and manipulated it. :shh:
When the arm is all the way down, the gauge goes all the way to empty. However, when the arm is all the way up, the gauge stops at a little past the 3/4 mark.
Tevesh

Post by Tevesh »

Did you ever figure this issue out? My 67 is doing something similar. Fuel gauge reads near empty and temp gauge says cold. Oil pressure gauge seems to be working normally.
gbass82

Post by gbass82 »

Yes. It was the IVR that was the issue. A member made me an electronic IVR and it worked like a champ. I have had no more issues with the temp gauge or fuel gauge since. He passed along the instructions on how to make one. They do not cost much. If you want me to pass the info along to you let me know. I can also ask him if he would be willing to make you one if you like.
Kurt Combs
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Kurt Combs »

I need one. Or, I did a NOS adjustable unit. Please send instructions or contact information if someone is willing to make and sell me a unit.
Kurt
1972 F-250
gbass82

Post by gbass82 »

Kurt Combs wrote:I need one. Or, I did a NOS adjustable unit. Please send instructions or contact information if someone is willing to make and sell me a unit.
PM me with your email address and I'll senf you the information.
Doorjam13

Post by Doorjam13 »

I'm having the same issues with my gauge cluster. None of them are working and the dash will not light up. I have replaced the IPV (from LMC) and changed the fuse. Still nothing........ :?
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

How does your fuel gauge respond if you move the sender unit manually? I've had to rebend the arm on mine to give me a more accurate reading.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.