Starting resistance wire

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Chris390

Starting resistance wire

Post by Chris390 »

I'm pretty sure the resistance wire is not to be spliced or damaged, right? And so is there a way around having to have this wire/resistor? Looking online for the wire, I came across a coil with an internal resistor. Says it's for a tractor with a 12v conversion assembly. Could I use this in place of the wire or resistor box?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Starting resistance wire

Post by sargentrs »

The resistance wire is keep from burning up your points. They are not designed to handle a continuous full 12v source. Too eliminate the resistor wire, you'll need to eliminate the points by replacing them with a points eliminator like a Pertronix Ignitor II, or equivalent, or install an electronic ignition system.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Jbott

Post by Jbott »

Worst case scenario if you really needed to run another resistor (assuming the existing wire is bad and you don't want to run another), you could get an external resistor and install it on the firewall (that's how some cars had them setup). I doubt anyone would do that on one of these trucks though, as they're usually trying to get rid of the resistance wire. When I installed Pertronix a couple of weeks ago, I got some 12 or 14 gauge wire and a wire splice and spliced inline into the red/green wire on the ignition and then ran the wire through the firewall to the Pertronix.
"Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year, and I'll feel fine. I'll feel fine." - Jimmy Buffett

1972 F-100 390 Automatic - Explorer Edition - Grabber blue - second owner

My truck - http://i.imgur.com/ijsVBdL.jpg
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

Truck Wiring - Copy.JPG
I did my ignition right off the battery via a relay triggered from the ignition switch. Bosch relay. Everything works just as Ford intended. Now I'm not running that power through the ignition switch. Just enough to power the relay and full battery power to the coil. I run pertronix II Doing this really improved my engine's performance. The resistor wire or resistor coil is for points systems as twelve volts will burn them up. Also you probably don't want to run a resistor coil because ford has a bypass wire that puts a full twelve volts to the coil when the starter solenoid is engaged for better starting. Unless your a purist go to electronic. Also did my headlights the same way using the harness sold by LMC with few modifications. running halogens had people comment on how bright my headlights are.
1969 Ford F100 Styleside standard cab 360 C6
Jbott

Post by Jbott »

69Ford wrote:
Truck Wiring - Copy.JPG
I did my ignition right off the battery via a relay triggered from the ignition switch. Bosch relay. Everything works just as Ford intended. Now I'm not running that power through the ignition switch. Just enough to power the relay and full battery power to the coil. I run pertronix II Doing this really improved my engine's performance. The resistor wire or resistor coil is for points systems as twelve volts will burn them up. Also you probably don't want to run a resistor coil because ford has a bypass wire that puts a full twelve volts to the coil when the starter solenoid is engaged for better starting. Unless your a purist go to electronic. Also did my headlights the same way using the harness sold by LMC with few modifications. running halogens had people comment on how bright my headlights are.

I love that clean setup. Bravo. I need to do that on my bump at some point. So much simpler.
"Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year, and I'll feel fine. I'll feel fine." - Jimmy Buffett

1972 F-100 390 Automatic - Explorer Edition - Grabber blue - second owner

My truck - http://i.imgur.com/ijsVBdL.jpg
Chris390

Post by Chris390 »

Thank u guys for the helping info and new ideas. Just trying to eliminate as much as I can out of the harness because I am making a new 1 plus that wire is pretty bad. Thanx
youngone

Post by youngone »

69ford, Where did you get that fuse holder from that looks really nice.
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

youngone wrote:69ford, Where did you get that fuse holder from that looks really nice.
Here's the link Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-CIRCUIT-ATC-A ... 35fc5f7f23
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

youngone wrote:69ford, Where did you get that fuse holder from that looks really nice.
$24 :eek: :?

You can get the same one from DelCity.net for only $13.

http://www.delcity.net/store/ATC-&-ATO- ... ay/p_10960

70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

HIO Silver wrote:
$24 :eek: :?

You can get the same one from DelCity.net for only $13.

http://www.delcity.net/store/ATC-&-ATO- ... ay/p_10960

Thanks for the link that is a lot cheaper 50% :hmm:
RandyP63

Post by RandyP63 »

69Ford, great looking set up, do you have a part number for the Bosch relay? Thanks.
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

Here's some updated pics.
Wiring (1).JPG
Wiring (2).JPG
Wiring (3).JPG