Got my TruckLite LED headlights!

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Got my TruckLite LED headlights!

Post by 69timemachine »

I finally stashed enough money away to get my TruckLite LED headlights. I got them off of eBay brand new in the box for $163 each, which is quite a bit cheaper than anyone else sells them for. I installed them last Friday night, took some pics, and used my meme generator app to add text after my wife compiled the images together for me. All I can say is WOW! They are absolutely worth every penny! Installation was about 15 minutes; a simple plug and play. I did have to check and lower my headlight alignment some to account for the different projector mirrors that these lights have, but that too was about 15 minutes. Next to disc brakes and 3-point seatbelts, this is THE absolute best SAFETY upgrade I have done to my truck! They look pretty good too!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason
"Where there's a wheel, there's a way!"
'69 F100 SWB in Lunar Green with built 351C & TKO-600 5-speed, 4.56 gears, and Eaton TrueTrac Posi.
Future plans: Maybe one day, fresh paint, though I've been told by some, "Don't touch it! It's done!"
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

Sold: '77 F100, '72 Gran Torino, '76 El Camino with 454 & TH400
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Got my TruckLite LED headlights!

Post by MAK »

I hadn't seen those before. Will definitely have to look in to that as an upgrade. :thup:
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

I don't think you'll be disappointed! Here's what they look like when close-up. :thup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason
'69 F100 SWB in Lunar Green with built 351C & TKO-600 5-speed, 4.56 gears, and Eaton TrueTrac Posi.
Future plans: Maybe one day, fresh paint, though I've been told by some, "Don't touch it! It's done!"
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by MAK »

Is it just a simple plug and play operation or does it require wiring harness and relay changes, etc?
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

It's a 100% plug and play setup. These only take 1.8 amps each on low beam and 3.6 amps each on hi beam, so only 3.6 amps per pair on low beam and 7.2 amps per pair on hi beam! That's a fraction of Halogen amp draw. :thup:
Last edited by 69timemachine on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

Big specht

Post by Big specht »

Good right up! Those are bright , but not cheap. But one deer hit would cost a lot more lol.
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

They're usually $190 to $220 each, so $163 each on ebay is actually a really good price. In my research on these headlights, I learned that they actually were developed for use in U.S. military vehicles deployed in Iraq. The story goes that they've taken rounds of ammunition before and have kept right on working. That's a pretty tough headlight! And don't worry, they are DOT approved. In fact, TruckLite has also been making LED replacement headlights for the trucking industry for a while now as well. You guys that own you own big rigs might be interested in that too. :thup:
Last edited by 69timemachine on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jason
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

In all my LED headlight research, there is only one downside that I have found, and that is that in freezing rain/blizzard conditions, the LED headlights don't get hot enough for the ice to melt off. The ice will keep accumulating until it blocks off virtually all light output. So if you run your bump in freezing inclement weather, that is the one downside to consider on LED headlights.

Here's some interesting videos about the TruckLites:

Watch "JW Speaker vs Truck Lite LED vs stock headlights on Jeep Wrangler JK" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/It1gNeBVnQI

Watch "Truck-Lite 27270C Demo and Review (7 Inch Round LED Headlights Shootout 7 of 12)" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/syCRMmV0-Bg

Watch "Penske Truck Rental Installs Truck-Lite LED Headlights" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/riAtkFlEO98
Jason
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by MAK »

Good info. Thanks.
carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Maybe doing the opposite to another trick to keep the headlights warm? I used 2" flexible hose from the AC inside my (other brand) truck to route air from inside to blow on the starter to cool it off while driving in the desert states in summer as well as the air cleaner inlet to help keep the power up.

Maybe route warm air to the headlights?
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

Well, for those who need their headlights in freezing rain, there is a heated TruckLite LED headlight. It's part #27275C. I have no idea on what pricing would be for them though. :thup:
Jason
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

EDVSU

Post by EDVSU »

Oh these look nice.
Awesome upgrade.
:thup:
- Martin Gza.
USAROVER

Post by USAROVER »

I installed mine today. HOLY MOLY!!!!!! The only problem I had was an aftermarket headlight ring (too small). I got lucky and found a Ford unit at a pick & pull. Install was super easy, these units even come with dielectric grease. The pics above don't lie, insane difference!
New guy here with a 67. Rebuilt auto, fresh rebuild on the 352, new tank, new radiator, doing glass soon and disk brakes!
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

Yes, they are amazing! I hope my post helped you in your decision! Glad you like them! :thup:
Jason
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Madman »

69timemachine wrote:In all my LED headlight research, there is only one downside that I have found, and that is that in freezing rain/blizzard conditions, the LED headlights don't get hot enough for the ice to melt off. The ice will keep accumulating until it blocks off virtually all light output. So if you run your bump in freezing inclement weather, that is the one downside to consider on LED headlights.

Here's some interesting videos about the TruckLites:

Watch "JW Speaker vs Truck Lite LED vs stock headlights on Jeep Wrangler JK" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/It1gNeBVnQI

Watch "Truck-Lite 27270C Demo and Review (7 Inch Round LED Headlights Shootout 7 of 12)" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/syCRMmV0-Bg

Watch "Penske Truck Rental Installs Truck-Lite LED Headlights" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/riAtkFlEO98
Well, that kinda runs those out for my elk hunting application! Bummer!
""Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet."

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1948 Willys CJ2A w/ Ford Flathead V-8
1975 Ford Bronco