Rebuilding a factory A/C unit - Done!

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

68rookie

Re: Rebuilding a factory A/C unit - Done!

Post by 68rookie »

This is what I was looking for, wonder if I can check the cables by removing the glove box?
http://fordification.com/tech/AC-cables.htm
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am!
1968 F-100 Longbed 390/C6
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

You should at least be able to feel if they're connected and moving. The ashtray hole is about the same distance from the cables so you can pull it and the mounting bracket out easily.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
68rookie

Post by 68rookie »

sargentrs wrote:You should at least be able to feel if they're connected and moving. The ashtray hole is about the same distance from the cables so you can pull it and the mounting bracket out easily.

Thanks!! I appreciate all the help I can get!!
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am!
1968 F-100 Longbed 390/C6
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

You did a great job of giving the over view of the factory A/C unit. I book marked your page for when I do mine.

I'm sure you know the boot for the fresh air is nowhere to be found nowadays. I tried the drivers side kick panel vent on the passenger side to see if it would fit in the opening. Fit like a champ and the screws line up on the 4 holes for the boot around the opening, Just have to drill 2 more holes for the 2 on the front. Easy way to have a shut off on the fresh air coming in.

Thought I would add this to your thread to help you and anyone else who thinking about what to do with the vent hole opening and no boots available anymore.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Thanks hazelnut! I knew I was going to have to improvise something on that side. Good to hear the driver's side fits there as well. :thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.