Inverter and the ashtray

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Roodaddy

Inverter and the ashtray

Post by Roodaddy »

I work with electrical engineers and some were electricians before getting their degrees. So I asked them about an experiment I was going to try. I am halfway through so I thought I would post the progress.

The Idea: Install an inverter with an outlet inside the cab.

I noticed the ashtray is very large, but has an awkward curve to it. I was diligent in my research and discovered my first prototype was acceptable by the "sparkies" at the office.

The protoype: I took a plastic outlet box, cut the back of it off, leaving about 1/4 of the box. I bought a replacement power cord for a drill or circular saw at Home Depot. The cord is 9 feet long so it more than meets the requirements. The cord runs through an existing passage in the firewall and then through a 3/8"- 1/2" hole drilled in the back of the ashtray. On the bare connection end to the cord I crimped on #10 ring terminals and screwed them in place on the outlet. The trimmed box with the outlet and its cover fits very snugly into the ashtray.

Trimming Notes:
- I had to trim the end of the metal catch on the ashtray so both outlets could be used
- I bought a nylon outlet cover so I could trim it; all four sides needed to be trimmed, so I cut off the "curved edges".
- If you cut a 1/2" hole in the ashtray you can use a plastic box connector (sometimes referred to as a 4-40). This would make it "up to code" as the metal edge of the hole would not be rubbing against the cord.

I still have to finish the installation of the inverter, by mounting it in the engine compartment by the battery.

Here's a picture of the finished ashtray.

Cheers,
Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
''72 F350 Crew Cab
'72 Galaxie 850 Camper
Roodaddy

re: Inverter and the ashtray

Post by Roodaddy »

I should have mentioned that by trimming the outlet cover, the ashtray closes very neatly!! Hiding my slight modification

Bill
''72 F350 Crew Cab
'72 Galaxie 850 Camper
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

that is a great idea! I might have to steal that for my truck later! nice, clean install!

I installed a 300 watt inverter on my '88 so I could watch the TV in the cab. worked great until I was working on it late on night and left the hood partly open (but latched on the safety hook). well, it rained that night nd when I went to use the inverter a couple days later, it almost burned down the truck! got rain in the unit and when I turned it on, POW!

so watch where the inverter gets mounted!
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
oldford

Post by oldford »

COOL :D
1971 f250 4x4, 390- 4 speed- 4.56
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I have to admit, that's a VERY cool idea! Thanks for sharing....

But now you're gonna have to go back to Lowe's and get yourself a more decorative cover....something like antique brass, or even a metal cover that you could paint to match the dash. Details, details.... ;)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Roodaddy

Post by Roodaddy »

Wow, Keith... I guess you are the one making the decoration decisions around your house? :lol:

I'll have keep that in mind for the final production unit.

Cheers,
Bill
''72 F350 Crew Cab
'72 Galaxie 850 Camper
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

That is one of the niftiest modifications I've seen. Nice going! That day of the big truck burn, Mike, was indeed a bad day.
jor
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by NM5K »

Pretty good fit. I use an inverter, but keep mine
loose, as I have two trucks, and sometimes
have to use it in the house. I have considered
adding outlets though, and plug the inverter into
a plug to feed the various outlets. Most mine would
be in the back campers though.. With the straight
walls of the bed in the 68, I could mount outlet
boxes just like in a house..Well, cept for a metal
wall.. Bit harder to cut than sheetrock...:(
MK
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
Roodaddy

Post by Roodaddy »

Unfortunately, I had to abandon the "outlet in the ashtray". We were camping last month and each morning I ground coffee with the inverter. (Yes, I can't leave the city behind, plus I live on the Left-Coast). Each morning went like this: open the hood, turn on the inverter, climb in the cab, open ashtray, plug in the grinder, grind beans, unplug grinder, close ashtray, turn off inverter and then close hood.

Not only was this routine tiresome, but every time I pulled out the plug the outlet would pop out of the ashtray, so I had to add the step: put the outlet back into the ashtray.

After remounting the invert and its switch, they now sit on the passenger side kick plate...right above the fire extinguisher. Very quick use and very accessible.

Still enjoy the "James Bond like" picture of the original install.

Bill
''72 F350 Crew Cab
'72 Galaxie 850 Camper
Tim P.
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Tim P. »

Well why not fasten the outlet box to the ashtray Im surprized you didn't cover this minor detail in your install, anything I hate more is an outlet that doesnt stay in the wall when you pull the cord,,,, you see Im a remodler and in some of the older houses theses outlets seem to move around especially the homes that have the old plaster and lath boards the people in thoses times seem to think that a tiny nail in the laths was a good strong hold over the years of pulling the plaster lets go and the lath moves around and plugs fall out :roll: :eek:
Ford Is The Mountain That The Rock fell Off Of.

72 F-250 Camper Special 390 Stroker 419 CID 420 HP Natural Asp 200 HP NOS C-6 Dana 60 4.10
96 F-150 XLT 4X4 5.8 Heavy Duty 4EOD
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

What pic? :?
wildcard
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wildcard »

:yt: :?
Tim P.
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Tim P. »

:yt: and that also :hmm:
Ford Is The Mountain That The Rock fell Off Of.

72 F-250 Camper Special 390 Stroker 419 CID 420 HP Natural Asp 200 HP NOS C-6 Dana 60 4.10
96 F-150 XLT 4X4 5.8 Heavy Duty 4EOD
kknip
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by kknip »

Can't see a pic :?
Soitenly! Oh,a wiseguy!
You knucklehead!
65 Mustang
72 F250 Camper Special