Battery being drained...still

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Bumpside70

Battery being drained...still

Post by Bumpside70 »

Hey guys. I have a problem that has been going on for almost a year now. Something is still draining my battery. I have replaced voltage regulator, and I have replaced the alternator. One alternator I put on back in November ended up being bad. I didn't find this out until May (Long story) The battery was also replaced a couple of months ago. I had a gut feeling that wasn't going to fix the problem but I needed to try everything I could. I posted my problem on here last October and some of you suggested using the test light on the positive terminal on my battery. Well.. I did that and nothing is "on". Where the heck do I go from here. This problem has really been stressing me out, because I never know if it will start when I'm out and making several stops. I have considered selling it because of this problem. Please help before I buy a Dodge or Chevy :oops: Thanks fellas.
Banjo
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Battery being drained...still

Post by Banjo »

had a floating groung in galaxy 500 years ago in courtesy light would kill battery.
Brisco Darlin'......"You sure do render good Sheriff!"
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Hook up a volt meter to your battery. Engine off you should read approximately 12.5 volts. Engine running it should read around 14 volts. It's okay to kick up the RPMs a little for this test, sometimes they don't charge too well at idle. If you are not charging correctly and the regulator, alternator, and battery are good then it's in your wiring. Do not despair, Ford charging systems are relatively easy to work on. And as stated above, just because it's new or rebuilt doesn't always mean it's good, test everything.
Banjo
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Banjo »

until you get time to find it, maybe you want to look at local parts chain and get one of those battery disconnect switches? It's got a green plastic wheel on top marked on and off and you mount your ground cable to that and put that device on your ground post on your battery. Roll it to the off position and battery is ineffective. At least you could do that overnight to keep it from draining?? I have a buddy who got 2 bad alternators in a row for his Maverick.
Brisco Darlin'......"You sure do render good Sheriff!"
QC
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by QC »

Do you drive the truck regularly or does it sit a lot? Your battery might just be self discharging from not being used. If a vehicle sits for a month or two, starting it up and letting it run for 15 minutes isn't charging the battery. If you drive it and start it several times the alternator might not be able to keep up if it's just a short drive between stops. You might just need to hook it up to a charger overnight and get it fully charged. Fully charged is at least 12.6 volts.
69 F-100 Ranger 302