horn

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

1970f100x

horn

Post by 1970f100x »

I have a horn in my truck, but I don't know how to operate it, I think it is that half circle plate over the steering wheel? If it is, it doesn't work. Do any of you know how I can get that working?

P.S. I'm only 16, so I'm not too experienced with older vehicles.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: horn

Post by fordman »

under that ring is a brass or copper contact that will contact ground when the ring is pressed. inside the column is the horn wiring, it goes down and out to the horn relay and from there to the horn. the first thing to do is to check if the horn is good itself. run a hot wire directly to the horn. and see if it works. the second thing i would check is to find out if the horn copper is inside the steering column.just puch down and twist the horn ring to get it off. if it is there and the horn works hot wire then you are looking at a possible wiirng problem. have the wires at the bottom of the column been cut and put back together or not put back together? that is a common place for the wiring to go bad. also check the fuses. check all of that and let us know what you find out.
1970f100x

Post by 1970f100x »

fordman wrote:under that ring is a brass or copper contact that will contact ground when the ring is pressed. inside the column is the horn wiring, it goes down and out to the horn relay and from there to the horn. the first thing to do is to check if the horn is good itself. run a hot wire directly to the horn. and see if it works. the second thing i would check is to find out if the horn copper is inside the steering column.just puch down and twist the horn ring to get it off. if it is there and the horn works hot wire then you are looking at a possible wiirng problem. have the wires at the bottom of the column been cut and put back together or not put back together? that is a common place for the wiring to go bad. also check the fuses. check all of that and let us know what you find out.
I'm a total noob. lol, how would I hotwire it? Btw, I took off my horn cover yesterday to fix something on the steering column, and there is a steel ring..not copper so Im not sure. But, I'm thinking it is very possible a fuse is bad.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

inside of the center steel ring on the steering wheel to the outer part is where the copper thing sits inside of a hole in the steering wheel. to run a hot to the horn unplug the horn wire and run a piece of wire from the positive side of the battery to the horn.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

heresa pic of the horn contact thing. i am still looking for a pic of the steering hweel to show where this contact goes in the steering wheel. i will edit this post when i find it.

Image Image number 2 is where the horn brush goes.

heres a pic of a horn relay . it works with the horn system some how
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Thunderfoot »

Too add more to what Fordman has... Here is a picture of where that goes under the wheel... Also look at the wire diagram for the horn here. http://www.fordification.com/images/sch ... 67horn.jpg if you take wire (1) and Ground it and the horn should work, if it doesn't then there is a problem with the horn or the horn relay. to check the horn put 12V to the (6) wire and the horn should work. If it doesn't then there is a problem with the horn... If grounding wire (1) made the horn work then you have a problem in the steering wheel with the contact or the ground strap for the steering wheel.

Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399
1970f100x

Post by 1970f100x »

Thunderfoot wrote:Too add more to what Fordman has... Here is a picture of where that goes under the wheel... Also look at the wire diagram for the horn here. http://www.fordification.com/images/sch ... 67horn.jpg if you take wire (1) and Ground it and the horn should work, if it doesn't then there is a problem with the horn or the horn relay. to check the horn put 12V to the (6) wire and the horn should work. If it doesn't then there is a problem with the horn... If grounding wire (1) made the horn work then you have a problem in the steering wheel with the contact or the ground strap for the steering wheel.

ok, so I went out to the truck and took a wire and grounded the cylinder with the blue/yellow connection to the turn signal. The horn works. The only problem is that I don't have the copper brush thing so what should I do?
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

You might post a request in the parts wanted section, towards the bottom of the forums page. Or they are available from several vendors, listed in the Links tab at the top of the page.
16, huh? Oh, to be that young again! Enjoy it while it lasts! Soon you'll be to the age where your back goes out more often than you do.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
1970f100x

Post by 1970f100x »

Are there two contact brushes? One for the column, one for the steering wheel?

Does everything look right? There are two holes...also, I think I'm missing two springs?
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by SteveC »

yes two horn brushes one goes in the colloum and one in the steering wheel. If you ever start parting these trucks out as a hobby just grab the brushes and put them in a tupperware dish that way you have extra
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

all you need is this then
this si the most common bad place for the horns on thre three spoke steering wheels. no one ever has one they always get broken or taken out fo rsoem reason. i only have two and i have two trucks that use that style. i dont even have any good used ones. that is how hard they are to come by. you must buy them new. i heard tell the only person who has the good american made ones is tom at flashback100's check the links page for his email address.
Last edited by fordman on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970f100x

Post by 1970f100x »

There are 2 springs missing, are they necessary?
91Bear
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 91Bear »

There is only one and it goes in the #2 spot on the picture.
1970f100x

Post by 1970f100x »

91Bear wrote:There is only one and it goes in the #2 spot on the picture.
well i need something in the column, because there is no way contact will be made without copper in the column. I really need to know about that spring wrapped around the shaft..
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

edited for my retardedness. lol. cheers.
Last edited by ezernut9mm on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage