Help

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

$$$$robert

Help

Post by $$$$robert »

I have a 72 ford f250 camper special/390 2bl. It has set awhile, It has a remanufactured block (7000 miles on it) I put a new voltage regulator on it, alt, starter, cables, grounds from engine to body, relay. battery. I tried cranking it and it won't fire. I got gas moving through the line to the carb. It turns slowly while jumping and the cable from the reg to the starter gets hot when I crank it. I started it last spring and had a hard time. After it ran awhile, I shut it off and it wouldn't even turn over. Please help, trying to get it ready to sell cheep Robert
splavin90

Post by splavin90 »

neutral safety switch?

and- that sounds really bad that your starter cable gets hot. get a bigger wire before you melt away that insolation and start burning things up and catching things on fire

put a teaspoon of oil in each cly
69 F100 81' 302 / 73' fmx

I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than go driving with Kennedy
$$$$robert

Help

Post by $$$$robert »

I don't think it is the nuetrial safety switch. It trys to turn over but it's like the battery died. I am concerened about the wire from the starter switch on the fender to the starter getting hot. Does that mean that I am getting too much power from somewhere and that it could do further damage?
Thanks,Robert
kknip
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by kknip »

Do you have the battery ground hooked directly to the block?If so,is the block clean under the cable?Rust and corrosion cause alot of resistance and will make things really heat up.Make sure all contacts with any cables are real clean and free of rust and corrosion.If you don't have any fire,I would check for power at the coil,points contacts,distributer cap and wire ends for corrosion.What do you mean by "jumping",jump starting with cables I'm guessing. :D
Soitenly! Oh,a wiseguy!
You knucklehead!
65 Mustang
72 F250 Camper Special
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Sounds to me like you might have your timing a bit too advanced....when it's advanced too far it'll crank hard as you describe. Try backing it off a bit and I'll bet it'll crank over a lot faster.

And as mentioned, the battery ground strap needs to be to the block, not the frame, and there should also be a ground strap which goes from the back of the block to the firewall.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

try a fresh battery with all the connections clean. and try again.
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Leadfoot »

sounds like your battery cables are junk, if they get hot you need better cables. :hmm: if not your battery.
WHAT ?
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Help

Post by Leadfoot »

I use a meter that can measure Ohms in an AC or DC live circuit but you don't need a $400 Fluke to do this work.
:hmm: my fluke meter cost over $950. 6 years ago. yes mine has
tach, dwell, temp, graphs, pics & volts, amps, more.......... %^&* looks like I got screwed . $400.00 from what place. you better not say off a snap-on truck :x
WHAT ?
kid

Post by kid »

Mine is not a car meter I am an Electrical Contractor.

Though mine can do tach, dwell, current (10amps),Volts AC, DC, resistance, Caps, Diode test and temp.