No alt light when key is on

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

kknip
Preferred User
Preferred User

No alt light when key is on

Post by kknip »

I have got all the wiring hooked up in my truck.When I turn the key to ON, the oil light comes on but the alt light does not.I have the cluster out and sitting on the dash.I checked power at the bulb and had power at center pin and ground.I don't have a clue as to what's feeding back through.Maybe the alt is shorted out? :?
Soitenly! Oh,a wiseguy!
You knucklehead!
65 Mustang
72 F250 Camper Special
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

That would be normal IF the engine was running and everything working properly, power is on both sides of the bulb to turn it off.

But since yours has power on both sides with the engine off, I would suspect the field relay is stuck on in the voltage regulator.

To see if it's the regulator or alternator, check for voltage on the "S" terminal of the regulator with the engine off. If there's no voltage then it's the regulator and if there's voltage then it's a shorted diode in the alternator.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
kknip
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by kknip »

Thanks a million 68F250! :D I thought there could be something wrong with the regulator,but I did not want to just start replacing parts.I did not know the bulb would have power on both sides to turn it off and thought I had something feeding back...........

I love FORDification :woohoo:
Soitenly! Oh,a wiseguy!
You knucklehead!
65 Mustang
72 F250 Camper Special
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

You're welcome! The last time I experenced the alt. light not coming on, I had a shorted diode in the alternator. And that was soon after I gave somebody a jump, an expensive jump. :eek:
Barry

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

one thing i have heard is that you dont arc your cables together to see if the first battery has good connection to the cables because it could burn out the diodes in the alt. thats only what i heard.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

You can blow up a battery that way too!

I don't even have my engine running when I give a jump now. The initial surge can shock the alternator as it tries to keep up.
Barry