taillight vs. brake light

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

72hurricane88

taillight vs. brake light

Post by 72hurricane88 »

My brake lights werent working so yesterday i went and got a new brake light switch and replaced the old one but i still dont have brake lights. i put a test light on it and i got power when the button's pushed in but no lights. the bulbs are good, as i have blinkers and tail lights when the headlights are on...just no brake lights...any ideas?
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

Sounds to me like you have a bad ground. It's grounding back through the tail lights when you have the switch pulled, making a complete circuit.
Good luck...
JH
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
72hurricane88

Post by 72hurricane88 »

where does it ground at? I checked the wires behind the switch and they're okay...i also dont have a right blinker in the front or on the cluster, but i got one in the back...
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

I think there's a wiring diagram in some of the stuff on the main page here on the site.
JH
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
kid

Post by kid »

Make sure the light assembly grounds to the body or frame close to the light.

Make sure the wires are good. As I have a 350 I can only give you general knowledge. THe brake signal passes through the turn signal switch. If the turn signals are off the signal goes uninterupted to the brake bulb. If the turn signal is set to flash the brake light signal gets broken into the flash pattern. Turn signals and brakes use the same element on the bulb. Otherwise you would not see the turn signal flash while the brakes were on.
72hurricane88

Post by 72hurricane88 »

so i traced wires and looked behind the tail light and everything and there's no place on the wire that looks like it could be shorted...the bulb was stuck in the socket so when i tried to turn it, the bulb came out of the little copper thing so i know i gotta get a new bulb now...I checked for power at the back of the socket with a test light and i dont have anything but that may change when i get a new bulb?

at the same time, i dont have back up lights...it sounds like a fuse but the brakes and back up lamps are on the same circuit as the instrument panel and its still working...any more ideas?
Big D's 69
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Big D's 69 »

The worst part of anything electrical. Chasing Gremlins can drive a man crazy. :?
1969 Ford F-100. 302 4 barrel, C4 auto, 9in 3.50 open rear, headers, power steering, Turq/wht, Under restoration. In other words, in a million pieces!!!

There is no Replacement for Displacment!!!

My Photo Gallery: http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=655
72hurricane88

Post by 72hurricane88 »

you aint lying...i took out the brake switch and put it back in, now it has power all the time...still no brake lights tho..I gotta get this done asap, i had a couple of close calls with a diesel today cause of it, and i wouldnt drive it but its my only vehicle and i gotta get to/from school
19674x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 19674x4 »

i'm in the same boat, got pulled over by the cops today for not having brake lights.
My Photo Album
2012 Cummins-the luxury Tow Pig
1967 F-250 highboy 352, np435(((((((sold))))))))) My first true love
1968 F100 SWB. 360, np-435, flatbed, currently acting as a hornest nest and bee hive.
1971 F-100 4x4 Step-side. 360, np-435, 70k origional miles- needs allot of love.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: taillight vs. brake light

Post by flyboy2610 »

72hurricane88 wrote:i put a test light on it and i got power when the button's pushed in but no lights.
Do you have power to the lights when the button is OUT? The switch is on when the button is out, and off when the button is in.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html