coil cutoff switch

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

splavin90

coil cutoff switch

Post by splavin90 »

has anybody made a coil cutoff swtich, or something else, anti-theft related?
i am thinking about splicing my coil and running a switch to underneath my dash, so i can flip it and my coil will not produce spark.
69 F100 81' 302 / 73' fmx

I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than go driving with Kennedy
theskytoucher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by theskytoucher »

sounds like a good place for one to me
-Troy-

1996 Dodge ram 1500 4x4
1976 Ford F-150 4x4

Quando Omni Flunkus Mortadi
When all else Fails Play Dead
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

if you splice a wire from the negative side of the coil, thru a hidden switch, then run it to ground, it will stop the points from sparking - without having to worry about 12vdc positive shorting anything out.
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Years ago I installed a few of those coil cutoffs for friends. It's a pretty good anti-theft device that costs little. I remember installing one so it activated with the ash tray. To start the car, the owner just pulled the ashtray out and that enabled the coil by flipping a toggle switch.

I'm with Customs and we come across a lot of pretty inventive electrically controlled compartments for smuggling dope. Typically, they involve several actions (e.g. pull this knob, turn this switch) and voila! a side panel miraculously pops open!
jor
67highboy

Post by 67highboy »

I have one on my truck. I put it right down by the E-brake release handle and wired it just like Highboy said, using a ground circuit.
It works well.
Its funny when one of your friends or family tries to move it when your not around, when you get home they allways have a very serious look on their face and say "Dude, Your truck wont run... BUT I DIDN"T DO ANYTHING TO IT I SWEAR" :lol: :lol:
People who are willing to give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty or safety...

Ben Franklin 1775
Dropped 68

Post by Dropped 68 »

I had one in mine, but it wasn't for anti theft purposes. It was a (re-route the grounding to the engine coil, to the coils in the back, thus causing the engine to spit lots of unburned fuel through the exhaust back to the now being ignited spark plugs in the tips). Kind of deal, and of course, I used a three position toggle switch. Sadly my truck slipped out of park on a hill, and mangled one of my tailpipes. (July 4) So I currently don't have my flame throwers, but once I get some free cash to get the exhaust fixed. I'll be roasting once again.
splavin90

Post by splavin90 »

67highboy wrote:I have one on my truck. I put it right down by the E-brake release handle and wired it just like Highboy said, using a ground circuit.
It works well.
Its funny when one of your friends or family tries to move it when your not around, when you get home they allways have a very serious look on their face and say "Dude, Your truck wont run... BUT I DIDN"T DO ANYTHING TO IT I SWEAR" :lol: :lol:
:lolprev: :lolprev: :lolprev:

i am going to do that to one of my friends, throw them the keys to my truck and be like WTF YOU BROKE IT!
69 F100 81' 302 / 73' fmx

I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than go driving with Kennedy
kid

Post by kid »

Don't splice make it look like a tach wire hookup. And if you have a tach just ground the wire going to the coil under the dash. Don't splice unless you have too.
shanmeg1

Post by shanmeg1 »

:D :rock: Some great ideas here!!!
1972 F100 302
1989 F150 5.0 Auto LWB
2004 Crown
2004 Taurus SEL