ammeter to voltmeter conversion.

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

ammeter to voltmeter conversion.

Post by fitzwell »

Finally got a 4 gauge cluster for the '69....is it possible to convert the ammeter to a voltmeter & use the existing face?
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: ammeter to voltmeter conversion.

Post by bluef250 »

I have thought about this conversion. Probably possible, but I do not think that it would be cost effective or look right. The metering device is the similar, but the scale would be weird. Our amp gauge move both ways from center, I envision a volt meter moving from zero (on left) to max (on right) and returning to zero not the center. The gauge measures the difference in voltage (which creates a current from the higher side to the lower side) between the alternator and the battery. Our trucks use a shunted circuit. You would have to build and to add a circuit to keep the current less than 3 amps (although I would make this variable then tune the circuit) through the gauge from the electrical system to the ground. I suggest you do this internet search "converting an ammeter to volt meter" and read up on the process.
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

running the wires is the least of my worries. Talked to one shop that said they could convert, but, since the voltmeter fastens in the cluster differently,they need the whole unit to re configure it. I was just checking to see if anyone else had done this kind of conversion, and what they had run into
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Leadfoot »

personally I think some after markets units would be a better idea.
as long as it was well placed it would still look ok I think. I like using the ash tray for a mounting location, and yes I smoke but the tray is way to small and badly placed for a chain smoker. :2cents:
WHAT ?