ignition, HELP PLEASE!

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

ranger7489

ignition, HELP PLEASE!

Post by ranger7489 »

I lost the key to my truck and i need to get it to my friends house, I ordered another ignition but i cant wait that long. How do i hotwire my 72? My friend said there are 2 red wires i put together, I know how to turn it off, I have a switch on my starter to avoid theft. PLEASE HELP QUICK!!
72 F-100 302 V8, bf goodrich a/t's, true duals, magnaflow mufflers, undergoing serious body work, K&N air filter, 2bbl carb, stock suspension, steering stablizers, 3:73's
Dropped 68

re: ignition, HELP PLEASE!

Post by Dropped 68 »

Run a wire from the positive side of ignition coil to the positive side of the battery. You now will have spark. Crank the engine over by jumping across the positive side of the battery to the S terminal on the solenoid. Just remeber you'll have to disconnect the wire between the coil and battery to turn the truck back off. Easy as that.
67highboy

Post by 67highboy »

If you are going to drive the truck. go to the auto parts and buy a ballast resister from an old 60's chrysler and run a line from the positive side of the battery to the resistor and then from the other side of the resister to the positive side of the coil.
The truck will start with no resistor but wont run very well and will burn the points up in a heartbeat with a full 12 volts running to it.
so use the resistor.
Then just jump the solenoid to turn the engine over

She should crank right up

John
People who are willing to give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty or safety...

Ben Franklin 1775
ranger7489

Post by ranger7489 »

By any chance at all do you have a diafram, Im sorry im not very technicly inclined, im only 18
72 F-100 302 V8, bf goodrich a/t's, true duals, magnaflow mufflers, undergoing serious body work, K&N air filter, 2bbl carb, stock suspension, steering stablizers, 3:73's
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Install wires and balast resistor
+bat ------> added balast resistor -------> + coil
Remove to stop engine.

Jump until engine starts from
+bat ------> (Ign Switch) soleniod terminal

Wire (terminals) on starter solenoid
larger wires (on terminals)
+Bat ---------> (+Bat) .......................................... (Starter) ------> Starter
.............................\
...............................\ <jumper wire
smaller wires.............\
---------------------->(Ign Switch)..............(Coil)------------->