Question about alternators.

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Question about alternators.

Post by rjewkes »

Since it is the same alternator on the 82 t-bird as on our trucks, i have the question why does the amp light come on in the bird when i realy gun it to merge with trafic?

Could it be belt sling? or just too many revs to charge?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
splavin90

re: Question about alternators.

Post by splavin90 »

i'd check the belt tightness, and maybe the vibration from the engine is rattling the connections on the alt. causing it to loose contact.

i've never heard of an alt. being turned too fast to charge, and, i think that volt. reg. keeps the alt from over producing too much electricity, AND i doubt that it is being used (charging the battery) everytime you step on the pedal.

i have had a simalar thing happen to me in a friends VW, if you really got on the pedal, the battery light on the dash lit up, tightened the belt and it worked fine.

i really wish i had gone to school more when i had automotive electronics.
69 F100 81' 302 / 73' fmx

I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than go driving with Kennedy
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

I was thinking of the belt but wanted another opinion. just incase it was something else.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

The brushes in the alt might be wearing out.

That might explain why the light comes on when you juice it.

The brushes start bouncing on the shaft cause they are at the limits of the spring.

Might want to check them out.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

just installed it 1 1/2 months ago new rebuilt from O'reily so i have waranty. But i think my battery is thye culprit as it is leaking a little i discovered today and the belt has 3/4" deflection. So i will be retitghtening the belt and getting a new battery.
fuelly.com
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

it was the diod in the alternator and the stator wire that goe to the electric choke.
fuelly.com