Brake lights not working

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

dirtbikeguy15

Brake lights not working

Post by dirtbikeguy15 »

I converted my 67' to power steering by using the parts off my 72' parts truck. My problem is that the newer column has a different plug so it won't just simply plug in to the plug coming from under the dash. I have been messing around with the wires for a while now to try and find the right combination so i can splice the right wires together. I can get the turn signals to work but now my brake lights don't work! How are the brake lights tied into the steering column and the turn signals? I am hoping someone eles has converted their truck to power steering and knows how get the turn signals and brake lights to work with the newer column. I would be very grateful for any help anyone could give me since I have been trying to figure this out on my own for a while. Plus I can't drive my truck without the brake lights and I miss it! Thanks.
67' Ford F100 4x2 352 4spd LWB
72' Ford F100 4x2 360 C6 LWB
94' Ford Mustang 232 5spd
95' Ford Contour GL
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Leadfoot »

first thing to check is if the brake light switch is getting power. at both sides
WHAT ?
dirtbikeguy15

Post by dirtbikeguy15 »

The switch is working fine. I'm working on this by myself so I jumped the plug since I can't press on the brake pedal and walk to back to see if they are working at the same time.
95' Ford Contour GL
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Brakes lights go through the column along with all the other lights that blink. Since you changed the column, and assuming that the brakes lights worked before, then I would first start with the column. Check out the wiring schematics in the tech section. Also, I would pick up and compare the wiring diagram for both your year and the donor vehicle. By the way, to make it more interesting Ford did not necessarily stay with the same color codes!! Then there are PO and COs who change things. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Leadfoot »

get a test light pull your wheel off and check the switch out. :2cents:
WHAT ?
dirtbikeguy15

Post by dirtbikeguy15 »

I already installed a new turn signal switch.
95' Ford Contour GL
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

bluef250 wrote:Brakes lights go through the column along with all the other lights that blink. Since you changed the column, and assuming that the brakes lights worked before, then I would first start with the column. Check out the wiring schematics in the tech section. Also, I would pick up and compare the wiring diagram for both your year and the donor vehicle. By the way, to make it more interesting Ford did not necessarily stay with the same color codes!! Then there are PO and COs who change things. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Yup. Blue F250 has it. You need to get the wiring diagrams for your truck and the column donor truck. Then you can splice the correct wires together.
If you don't have a multimeter, definetly get one. They are invaluable tools.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Leadfoot »

dirtbikeguy15 wrote:I already installed a new turn signal switch.
Ok you got a new switch but is it getting power you need to find out if you are getting power to it. So I would pull the wheel and check with a test light. and if you don't have power than you will know what wire you need to get power to. :2cents:
WHAT ?
Dropped 68

re: Brake lights not working

Post by Dropped 68 »

Here's the easy way out (It's what I ended up doing when I switched to a '75 column) cut the plug off relatively close to the bottom on both columns. Pull the harnesses out through the top of both columns. Take the wiring out of your '67 and electrical tape all the way around from the bottom, most the way up. You can now snake it back down your '72 coulmn, just as it was factory. Solder and heat shrink your '67 plug back to you '67 wiring. And you're good to go all the turn signal switch and so on will bolt back in place as usual. No guess work on what wire goes to what. My :2cents: