volt/amp gauge- useful?

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Fake Name

volt/amp gauge- useful?

Post by Fake Name »

Yes, I know they can be helpful. But in my many (many!) years of driving many different cars, I've never had a single instance of actually using a volt or ammeter.

Here's the decision: I want to use a billet instrument cluster, but it only has room for 4 gauges other than the speedo and tach. The usual lineup is fuel, water temp, oil pressure and ammeter.

I hate ammeters, I'd much prefer a voltmeter. But I'd really like a tranny temp gauge. I don't want to have another gauge scabbed onto the dash with an under-dash bracket.

People often cite a low voltage or bad ammeter reading to indicate a thrown belt and loss of water pump function. But that's what the temp gauge is for.

Am I missing something? Am I an idiot?

fn
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: volt/amp gauge- useful?

Post by FORDification »

A broken alternator belt isn't going to cause an engine to overheat, unless it's the only belt on the engine (also driving the water pump). I'd think you'd be way better off with a good voltmeter than a tranny temp gauge. You're more likely to have charging problems than an overheated transmission, IMO.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Fake Name

Post by Fake Name »

Well, it's probably true a charging system is more likely to present problems. But not expensive problems that might be avoided via early detection.

I need to be clear- this is the internet- I''m not itching for a fight, but I need to understand your rationale...

thanks!

fn
1970 F250
2011 KTM 990 ADV
2003 KTM 525EXC
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

How about a vacuum gauge?
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Hmmm...well, I'm not saying a transmission temp gauge wouldn't be nice to have, I just don't think it's as important as a voltmeter, simply because as you say "...it's probably true a charging system is more likely to present problems".

My rationale isn't really based on anything more than my own preference, so take that for what it's worth. Very few vehicles ever produced ever came with a transmission temperature gauge, mainly because they don't tend to have problems, and I'd think that as long as your truck at least has a factory cooler and the fluid level is where it should be....and you're not trying to tow a house...you're not apt to have problems with a transmission. However, since I always say "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" I think I'd try to find a way of incorporating both. Leave the voltmeter in the panel and maybe find a way of incorporating a small warning light in the panel (kinda like a high-beam indicator) that would be hooked up to a sending unit in the tranny, to tell you when/if the tranny temps reached a certain level.

Just my :2cents:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
Fake Name

Post by Fake Name »

Sure, but I'm trying to build a truck that I'll likely be towing stuff through the desert- off-road toys, race cars, (don't tell my wife) etc. I don't disagree that a voltmeter would be nice...

How about a tranny temp gauge and an alternator light?

fn
1970 F250
2011 KTM 990 ADV
2003 KTM 525EXC
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Well, by the time a charging system idiot light comes on it's too late...whatever problems your system was having (that you might have been able to catch early with a voltmeter) have gotten worse. A tranny temp warning light sending unit can be tailored, so at least with a warning light for that you'd have some kind of early-warning system.

Considering what you're building your truck to do (and where you'll be doing it), I agree that a tranny temp gauge might be wise. However, I also think the voltmeter should be included....so maybe you could find (or construct) a different panel where you could include both? :hmm:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
Fake Name

Post by Fake Name »

Yes, I could. But I'm LAZY, and my fabrication facilities exceed my demand for quality.

And, really, I just don't think there is room on the standard panel for five gauges. Have a look here:
http://www.fordification.com/forum/download.php?id=129

this guy did a great job, but I'm still not seeing the available space.

I am open to suggestions....

fn
1970 F250
2011 KTM 990 ADV
2003 KTM 525EXC
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

You could always use a gauge with a slightly-smaller diameter. Look at the factory F600 panels...those gauges are only 1.5" instead of the 2-1/16" gauges being used in the panel you linked to, and they're plenty large enough for a driver. Or I think even with the larger gauges, with a little creative positioning you could fit 5 in there.

So would adding a small underdash gauge pod be out of the question?
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
Fake Name

Post by Fake Name »

Hate underdash pods. Yes, I might have to use one, or maybe one on top of the dash.

I'm lucky to read a 4" speedo or tach, with my eyes. Progressive eyewear still does not help these old eyes. I can see the traffic (don't worry!) but I want BIG gauges.

Maybe something like a pillar pod, be it ever-so-ricer like.

fn
1970 F250
2011 KTM 990 ADV
2003 KTM 525EXC
Fake Name

Post by Fake Name »

Ok, I had another look. A better place would be to fab a blanking plate for the ashtray and install two gauges there.

I'd have to use the "wedgie" mounts, but it could be cool.

I'll let you know.

fn
1970 F250
2011 KTM 990 ADV
2003 KTM 525EXC
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

I just had a problem with the charging system on my boat a couple weeks ago, and was able to catch it before the boat was, literally, dead in the water.
ended up the charging system had a short in it, and started dis-charging the battery while running. But thanks to an early warning from the guage, I was able to get it on the trailer before it died completly. I think an ammeter is worth its weight in gold.
I tow (OK used to tow) a lot of heavy stuff, but never saw the need for a tranny temp guage. And that was in the NV and AZ heat.
Its good information, but rarely actually needed.
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
Fake Name

Post by Fake Name »

oh, fine. a voice of reason and personal experience. Just when I think I've got it all figured out....: )

thanks!

fn
1970 F250
2011 KTM 990 ADV
2003 KTM 525EXC