Engine cuts out

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

kid

Engine cuts out

Post by kid »

After setting for a few months during the front end rebuild the engine started fine but as I go down the street the engine turns off and on. Sometimes it comes back if I turn the key off and on while in gear and coasting (new 6 month old switch and new coil and points plugs and wires 9 months ago). Sometimes it just seems to miss for no reason every few seconds.

Any Thoughts?
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Engine cuts out

Post by 68F250 »

Hmm, if the ignition switch has some kind of cause/effect I'd bypass it first and see if it still does it. Run the truck hot-wired but not too long that you overheat the coil. That's where I'd start.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
kid

Post by kid »

Thanks I will give that a shot. I have an external resistor because of the previous owner so coil burn won't be a problem
kid

Post by kid »

I bypassed it after a bad day of cutting out and back on and no problem. So new ignition switch does not fix it. Does anyone know where I can get the ignition wiring harness and connector?
kid

re: Engine cuts out update

Post by kid »

Found the original problem that lead to the bypass wire. Ø16A resistor wire does not work. Plus the terminal connectors in my ignition switch connector don't make good contact.