Fuel Gauge and New Sending Unit - Only Registering 1/4 tank

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Fuel Gauge and New Sending Unit - Only Registering 1/4 tank

Post by basketcase0302 »

"DuckRyder"]Incidentally one of todays projects was to try to get my gas gauge working reliably. when replacing the IPVR (common issue) I discovered the printed circuit damaged at the corner where it bends into the plug.

So, when you test the circuit, don’t forget the circuit that goes from the harness to the gauge (printed circuit)
70'-72'
67'-69' didn't have the printed circuit board did they Robert?
I'd had several issues with the ribbons on the printed circuit boards on the dents I owned also. :hw:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I’m not positive about 70 but 71 and 72 have printed circuits for sure and earlier than 70 do no. I’ve got a 68 or 69 ranger gauges cluster I bought before I realized that... 70 is kind of an in between odd year for a lot of stuff I think.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
goat_72

Post by goat_72 »

When I took the dash out, i used some Isopropyl alcohol to clean all the circuits which were caked with 45 years worth of dust. I checked all the circuits and they all looked quite good actually. I recall at the time of replacing the IPVR, the plug you talk about had a backing peace of plastic secured with some yellow paint which just came off. I didn't care much to replace it.

That all said, my gauge works (kind of). At full it shows full (very full) and stays there for some time, after about 12 gallons of consumption it is at empty, suggesting it's a 13 gallon tank or it's calibrated off by 6 gallons knowing it is a 18 gallon tank. But I have been too scared to drive it below "E". Needless to say, at 9 mpg it doesn't make a huge amount of difference but i have enough of a reading to make it all functional. Some enthusiastic driving, you can watch the sucker drop real time ... :lol:
'72 f100 swb
'17 audi allroad
'15 toyota highlander
wife & 2 kids
Thipdar

Post by Thipdar »

DuckRyder wrote:Incidentally one of todays projects was to try to get my gas gauge working reliably. when replacing the IPVR (common issue) I discovered the printed circuit damaged at the corner where it bends into the plug.

So, when you test the circuit, don’t forget the circuit that goes from the harness to the gauge (printed circuit)
Last time I pulled the instrument cluster, I noticed that most of the copper fingers had lifted from the flexible printed circuit.
Rather than have circuits fail because the fingers were mis-aligned, I repaired all of the loose fingers.
Under magnification, I superglued the fingers back to the circuit board.
The superglue was 'painted' onto the appropriate places of the flexible printed circuit board with a pointed toothpick, then held in place with a glueless toothpick until the glue set.

While I had the cluster out, I swapped out all of the bulbs.

I haven't put it back in yet, I've been trying to deal with wiring issues.

I'll be putting it back together soon.
Thipdar

Post by Thipdar »

DuckRyder wrote:I’m not positive about 70 but 71 and 72 have printed circuits for sure and earlier than 70 do no. I’ve got a 68 or 69 ranger gauges cluster I bought before I realized that... 70 is kind of an in between odd year for a lot of stuff I think.
Both of my '70s had a flexible printed circuit.

While I respect them as an innovation and a cost-saving measure, I wish they were more durable.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Guys help me out here-as I'd seen the discussion recently somewhere else on our printed circuit boards...

I just ran a search on DC / LMC / and Mac's website, (I was sure I'd seen the replacement printed circuit boards there) and came up with nothing.
I remember years ago they seemed obsolete as I'd found an OEM NOS one for my early Bronco at the time on ebat.
And that was the only place I found the circuit board for our bumps just now, (ebat).
So as usual I question the country of origin and how well it is made. :hmm:
Are there any other sources for the printed circuit board that anyone is aware of for our 70'-72' bumps?
Here's the one on ebat:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-72-Ford-T ... HQ&vxp=mtr
Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

NPD list usa made reproductions, they are expensive.
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

anyone have the part number for the clip nuts around the dash?
Robert

DisneysPatB
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by DisneysPatB »

They are not available from LMC, MACS, DC, or NPD. I did, however find these at a local auto parts store I deliver to and will get the # for you later today. "U" clips.
1970 F250 460 C6 - Project - Currently not running.
1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4 x 4 5.9 Magnum -not running.
1999 Toyota Corolla - Daily Driver.

https://fordification.com/forum/app.php ... y/album/43
DisneysPatB
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by DisneysPatB »

Auveco is the brand and they were #8s

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Thanks man, that will save me trying to match them up with something...
Robert

DisneysPatB
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by DisneysPatB »

basketcase0302 wrote:Guys help me out here-as I'd seen the discussion recently somewhere else on our printed circuit boards...

I just ran a search on DC / LMC / and Mac's website, (I was sure I'd seen the replacement printed circuit boards there) and came up with nothing.
I remember years ago they seemed obsolete as I'd found an OEM NOS one for my early Bronco at the time on ebat.
And that was the only place I found the circuit board for our bumps just now, (ebat).
Are there any other sources for the printed circuit board that anyone is aware of for our 70'-72' bumps?
Here's the one on ebat:

I picked mine up from MACS. 72.49 w/gauges. I think MACS has a store on EBay.

basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"DisneysPatB"]
basketcase0302 wrote:Guys help me out here-as I'd seen the discussion recently somewhere else on our printed circuit boards...

Here's the one on ebat:

I picked mine up from MACS. 72.49 w/gauges. I think MACS has a store on EBay.

Part # would be useful as I said my search there turned up empty? :wink:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Here is NPD for a truck with warning lights (appears 71/72 the same, 70 by itself) there is one for gauges and one for warning lights for each year range)

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/ ... 50693.html

OH, and here is MACs - looks like they may not cary one with warning lights...

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_truc ... cuits.html

OH again, anyone want to reward my laziness :D by telling me what bulbs the thing takes?
Robert

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

The one from NPD came, seems decent though not exactly like the original (also not broken)...

Not sure If i am supposed to leave the white on it, it appears unprotected underneath so I think I will not peel it off if it won’t create problems, it does seem to lift easily as if Its supposed to come off.

NPD literally just threw it is a shipping box and sent it on its way.

I know the cluster is scrungy... I’ll actually clean it up and replace the bezel at a later date, now I’m just trying to get it working.
Robert