TURNING ON LIGHTS KILL ELECTRICAL

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

radioactivelarry

TURNING ON LIGHTS KILL ELECTRICAL

Postby radioactivelarry » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:09 am

Developed this weird problem, when I pull on the light switch the entire electrical system shuts down. The engine quits and nothing electrical works, I mean nothing! When i push the light switch back off everything returns to normal. the engine will start and run. The lights never come on either.
I have checked the charging system and the alternator is putting out and the battery is up to normal. I checked all the fuses the first time it happened when I got stuck in traffic. I wiggled the wires and checked the battery connections and the only thing I did was to pull the battery cables and check and re-tighten the terminals.

Could it bee the light switch itself? I must mention there is no smoke or burning wire smell at all. Anyone ever have this happen to them? I can't drive my truck at night until I figure this out.

All helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all..... :P
Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed Lamb.
Ben Franklin.

My Motto: I wish I had less to do, more time to do it in and got paid more for not getting it done.
:drive:

basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: TURNING ON LIGHTS KILL ELECTRICAL

Postby basketcase0302 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:42 am

"radioactivelarry"]Developed this weird problem, when I pull on the light switch the entire electrical system shuts down. The engine quits and nothing electrical works, I mean nothing! When i push the light switch back off everything returns to normal. the engine will start and run. The lights never come on either.
I have checked the charging system and the alternator is putting out and the battery is up to normal. I checked all the fuses the first time it happened when I got stuck in traffic. I wiggled the wires and checked the battery connections and the only thing I did was to pull the battery cables and check and re-tighten the terminals.

Could it bee the light switch itself? I must mention there is no smoke or burning wire smell at all. Anyone ever have this happen to them? I can't drive my truck at night until I figure this out.

All helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all..... :P

More than likely the switch causing a "dead short" / direct ground. Try unplugging the headlight switch wiring harness, (once you've unhooked the battery) then drive or run the truck for awhile to see if it duplicates itself but I 2nd the switch itself being the culprit here. :wink:
Jeff
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4

I'm "on the fence" about another bump right now / still looking at them / but not real sure if I'm ready for it or not (until I get moved). :(

MadMike

Postby MadMike » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:20 pm

I'll 3rd the light switch, the older they are they weirder stuff they do.
Although I am impressed by its ability to kill the whole electrical system.
May want to check your ignition switch contacts have not been damaged by an excessive amp draw.
-Michael

radioactivelarry

Postby radioactivelarry » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:52 pm

The switch sounds plausible, I was also thinking the voltage regulator could be bad also, however I never had a fluctuation with the lights going bright or dim.

I installed a all new ignition switch/key about 16 months ago but I will check it also. I don't have an AMP gauge so I can't see a short draw. Probably should install one now when I replace the light switch. luckily the switch is still available.

Thanks for all the suggestions.....Will post the outcome....
Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed Lamb.
Ben Franklin.

My Motto: I wish I had less to do, more time to do it in and got paid more for not getting it done.
:drive:

Return to “Electrical & Wiring”