Not Starting - Grinding sound

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

BCRichDraco

Not Starting - Grinding sound

Post by BCRichDraco »

Hello everyone, I am having trouble getting my truck started. The truck doesn't turn over but when I try starting it, there's a grinding sound from somewhere on the passenger side. It sounds like it could be from the starter. I'm not sure what would cause this. When I try starting it again right after, it doesn't do anything at all. I've had issues with the grounds before but the truck wouldn't start at all when the ground got disconnected. I had the battery checked but that's not the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Jeremy
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Not Starting - Grinding sound

Post by sargentrs »

Kinda hard to say from your description, need a little more info. Have someone else crank it while your under the hood. Sounds like either the solenoid (on the passenger side inner fender) or you could have a bad spot on your flywheel. Also check that your starter bolts are tight.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
BCRichDraco

Post by BCRichDraco »

The gears on the starter were all ground up. Hopefully it will be as easy as putting in a new starter to fix up.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Check the teeth on your flywheel too! If the starter gears got ground up, they may be damaged also. I had a '79 Mustang that the starter bolts loosened up and toasted the gears on the starter. Installed 2 more starters before I realized the flywheel teeth were damaged the first time around so I wasted $$ on the starters. Had to replace the flywheel and the starter the 3rd time.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.