Brake Lights Out

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Grease Monkey

Brake Lights Out

Post by Grease Monkey »

OK, so I noticed my brake lights weren't working on my '72, so I checked and had a blown fuse. Replaced fuse and I'm getting 12 volts to brake light switch, brake light switch seems to be working with voltmeter, still no brake lights....... even jumped the wires going in to brake light switch, still nothing......
But I still have tail lights and turn signals everywhere, just no brake lights....... Most searches are turning up that it may be the turn signal switch......

My questions are, could it be the turn signal switch even though my turn signals are working fine?

...... does a bad turn signal switch usually blow a brake light fuse?

.....how are the rear lights grounded?

Thanks, Kris
Grease Monkey

Re: Brake Lights Out

Post by Grease Monkey »

....................also just remembered that my emergency flashers have not worked since I got the truck last fall.....
Grease Monkey

Re: Brake Lights Out

Post by Grease Monkey »

Well, I did some more checking with the voltmeter today. When I saw 12 volts at the brake light switch the other day it seemed to fluctuate, I just thought I wasn't getting good ground with my voltmeter....... Well today, I couldn't get over 5 volts at the switch, so I checked both sides of the fuse that I replaced the other day. Sure enough, the "new" fuse that's been around my shop for the last 20 years or so was bad.
Bought new fuses, and cleaned contacts of fuse panel just to be sure, good to go! :thup: