Trying to sort out wiring 71 F100

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

penguin327

Trying to sort out wiring 71 F100

Post by penguin327 »

I just bought a 1971 f100 with a decent body and hacked up wiring harness. I hope to make this truck an everyday driver but am having some issues. The previous owner had removed the ignition switch an cut off the connector plug and left the wires dangling. He also bypassed the wires connecting the starter solenoid and was somehow hot wiring it under the hood to make it start. I am trying to install a new ignition switch and put the wires under the hood back like they are supposed to be. The wiring schematic on this site is a little hard to make sense of when you are trying to figure out the mess somebody else has made of the wiring. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
68RGR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Trying to sort out wiring 71 F100

Post by 68RGR »

If you can print the schematic large enough, you can use colored markers to trace each wire using the actual wire color. That should make it easier to follow the circuits.

You need a new ignition switch and a new socket for it. People do odd things to wiring and this falls into that category.

There are at least two types of ignition switches - One has spade lug type connectors and the other has round pin type connectors. Be sure the socket matches whichever type switch you get. Wire the switch using solder and heat shrink tubing if you can. That should be more reliable that crimp connectors.

Check rockauto.com or other parts suppliers.

If he was hot wiring it under the hood, he would have to energize the ignition and momentarily do the same for the starter solenoid to start the engine. It might help if you had another "unmodified" truck to check out so you could see the way it should be.
Bill
68 F100 Ranger
73 F100 Ranger XLT

Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in garages. (Apologies to Kenneth Grahame.)
Stealth69

Post by Stealth69 »

Mine was only slightly better than that and I gave up all hope and just bought the painless kit for these trucks and it was well worth the investment.
'02 BMW 325xi

'69 Ford F250 C.S. Ranger 428 PI with gt 500 heads, racing c6, d60 3.73 limited slip, currently rat rod black (flat black) but going back factory Candy Apple Red / Wimbledon White
penguin327

Post by penguin327 »

Thanks for the replies. I have got the ignition switch hooked up and working. Now I have another issue. The battery is not charging. I took the alternator off and took it to Autozone and had it tested, it checks out good. I bought a new voltage regulator just to be safe but still am not getting anything to the battery, I am trying to trace the wiring using the schematic but am not having any luck so far. Any suggestions about what else I might look at?
penguin327

Post by penguin327 »

I got it figured out I think. My brother who is mechanic for the post office came over today and took a look at my project. Since the post office runs some vehicles over 30 years old he said he remembered something about a similar problem he had once. We checked the ground wire on the alternator and found it was in the wrong place. Then he looked at the regulator and hooked a jumper between pins 1 and 4 bypassing the voltage meter in the dash Eureeka! We now have 14 volts going to the battery! He said a lot of the older postal trucks had similar a problem when the volt meter went out and they couldn't get a replacement due to their being so old. Anyway it is fixed
guhfluh
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by guhfluh »

Make sure it isn't overcharging at higher rpms and the field is actually switching.
'67 F-250 Crew 2wd 300ci, T-170/RTS/TOD 4-speed overdrive
'96 Dodge Ram ECLB CTD
'99 Dodge Neon ACR 2dr - 10.64@130 (Sold)
'05 Infinity G35 Sedan
Corkwheats

Post by Corkwheats »

Stealth69 wrote:Mine was only slightly better than that and I gave up all hope and just bought the painless kit for these trucks and it was well worth the investment.
Wow. Dejay Vue! I have the exact same issue. Are the painless systems easy to install?

I'll check and see if they have one for a 71 F100.

Thanks,
Bob
71 Ranger XLT LB 2WD
Tilt Steering, West Coast Mirrors
390, 9.5-1 C.R., Holley 600, D2 Heads, C-6
Custom Grind Oregon Cam
Flotech Headers, 2.5" Duals w/H-Pipe
Camper Special

Post by Camper Special »

the schematic wiring diagram in full size is super helpful :clap:
if you dont have access to a printer or plotter take the file to a kinkos or other print shop. it is worth it.
i keep mine rolled up in the garage! :D
Out of order, I show you out of order. You don't know what out of order is, Mr. Trask. I'd show you, but I'm too old, I'm too tired, I'm too [censored]' blind. If I were the man I was five years ago, I'd take a FLAMETHROWER to this place! Out of order? Who the hell do you think you're talkin' to? I've been around, you know?..And Harry, Jimmy, Trent, wherever you are out there, [censored] YOU TOO! - Lt Col. Frank Slade
1972 F100 4x4 Calypso Coral
1970 F250 H/B Harbor Blue
1970 F250 CS Red
1970 F250 H/B Yucatan gold I'm back!
Corkwheats

Post by Corkwheats »

Thanks,

I was aware that there were good schematics (http://www.fordification.com/tech/schematics_h.htm) but which one would I use for my 71 F100. The year 1971 is missing from that page. That would certainly be a good thing to have.

Like the person who began this thread, I currently have a hot wire ran to my starting wire that must be turned on/off each time I run the truck. Also, my temp gauge & oil pressure gauge don't work.

I'd like to get this fixed this Summer.

Thanks,
Bob
71 Ranger XLT LB 2WD
Tilt Steering, West Coast Mirrors
390, 9.5-1 C.R., Holley 600, D2 Heads, C-6
Custom Grind Oregon Cam
Flotech Headers, 2.5" Duals w/H-Pipe
jdennis440

Post by jdennis440 »

Can anyone explain why there is no 1971 Schematic?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Found this over on "the dark side" in a post by somebody asking about a '71 diagram. Except for the glare from the flash, it's actually a decent photo. If I wasn't going to install an aftermarket harness I would definitely get one of these. https://www.classiccarwiring.com/1971-f ... g-diagram/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Scuzzy_1250

Post by Scuzzy_1250 »

Hey dude I just did my 69s wiring. 4 owners of bad chocies had no brakes no blinkers no interior lights no speedo and it was messed up I was beating my head over it for a while. What I ended up doing is i scored a vergin wiring harness from the junk yard for 50 bucks and I spliced wire for wire color for color. All the bad wires. I have a book if you want message me and we can set something up and I'll get you a copy your still in the same generation so it should cross over.
Thipdar

Post by Thipdar »

This thread was dead for four years, then brought back to life...

Ok.

My only other comment is that you need to make sure you are using the schematic that speaks "gauges" if your truck has an ammeter, and speaks "Idiot Lights" if your truck has an "Alt Light".

The wiring is different between the two. The two different approaches have changed wiring at the Alternator, Voltage Regulator and Instrument Cluster.

For Gauges, use the '70 F350 schematic (yes, it should work well enough for a 1971, although there may be some wire color coding differences); for "Idiot Lights", you can use the '70 F100-250 schematic. If your truck is an F100, F150 or F250 WITH GAUGES, use the F350 schematic.

Most of the remainders of the schematics are equivalent.
BennyGGG

Post by BennyGGG »

Thipdar wrote:This thread was dead for four years, then brought back to life...

Ok.

My only other comment is that you need to make sure you are using the schematic that speaks "gauges" if your truck has an ammeter, and speaks "Idiot Lights" if your truck has an "Alt Light".

The wiring is different between the two. The two different approaches have changed wiring at the Alternator, Voltage Regulator and Instrument Cluster.

For Gauges, use the '70 F350 schematic (yes, it should work well enough for a 1971, although there may be some wire color coding differences); for "Idiot Lights", you can use the '70 F100-250 schematic. If your truck is an F100, F150 or F250 WITH GAUGES, use the F350 schematic.

Most of the remainders of the schematics are equivalent.
Your last post saved me hours more time trying to sort out my ‘69 F250 wiring. Using the ‘70 F350 schematic is exactly what I needed. Thanks!!!