Having trouble removing starter from engine

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

fordyvonfordster

Having trouble removing starter from engine

Post by fordyvonfordster »

HI!!! So im trying to replace a bad starter and I removed the two bolts that connect the starter to the engine. I also removed the wire that runs from the starter to the battery. Now I cant seem to get the starter to come out. Im new to this and I dont have much experience but i feel like this should be alot easier to remove then it is. Ive tried for hours to yank and pull the darn thing out put to no avail. Is there a trick im missing or possibly a bolt that I didnt remove? Any help would be amazing. BTW my truck is a 1968 F-100.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Having trouble removing starter from engine

Post by BobbyFord »

What motor?
360/390's have three bolts attaching the starter.
fordyvonfordster

its a 240.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Pretty sure a 240 has a two bolt starter. I've seen starters get hung up in the motor plate. Have you tried hitting the end of the starter sideways with a rubber mallet?
fordyvonfordster

yea it seems hung up on something. I know i took the right bolts out. No i just pulled andtryedto wiggle it out. i thought about hitting it with a mallet but i wasnt sure if that was a good idea. Didnt want to damage anything in the motor. but Ill give it a try tomorrow. so in theory the starter should just slide right out correct?
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Yes but like I said, I've seen starters get stuck in the block plate before. You should be safe with a rubber mallet. If you're positive the bolts are out you might try to persuade it sideways with a pry bar.
Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Madman »

Bobby is right on in his idea. A mallet or dead blow hammer should be fine......hitting things usually is a tactic of poor mechanics, but some times a small rap to it will break up potential corrosion/gunk fouling which may lock it in place. We are talking about bashing the thing off.... :wink:

Does it wiggle or move at all? Have you tried a small pry bar to get a wiggle on it?
""Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet."

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1948 Willys CJ2A w/ Ford Flathead V-8
1975 Ford Bronco
fordyvonfordster

It wiggles a tiny bit. But as i wiggle it its also moving the metal that covers up the fly wheel . Likes its attached to that metal cover. No i didnt try a pry bar or hitting it. I was scared to mess anything up. Im about to go outside and try it again though.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

That metal plate is the block plate. The starter is just snug in block plate. Just pop it out of there, rubber mallet or pry bar will do it.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

If you have a strap wrench, or some way to grab it, try twisting it back and forth.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Maybe he's still out there :maybe:
fordyvonfordster

Ugh. Trying all day to budge it with a mallet. Its the original starter. Maybe its rusted in there. Wd-50 or something like that?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Does the starter work? You might try hooking the wire back up and just bumping the key to get the bendix to engage for a second. Those things have tons of torque and it may be enough to give it a little twist and break the crud loose. Be careful though! That sucker might just JUMP out.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Madman »

sargentrs wrote:Does the starter work? You might try hooking the wire back up and just bumping the key to get the bendix to engage for a second. Those things have tons of torque and it may be enough to give it a little twist and break the crud loose. Be careful though! That sucker might just JUMP out.
:yt: Especially the be careful part, but it may unbind the sucker...you can try wd-40 as well, just wipe up the excessive amount when you are done
""Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet."

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1948 Willys CJ2A w/ Ford Flathead V-8
1975 Ford Bronco
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Lotta room in an engine bay with a six in it. I'd have already mashed it outta there a long time ago. Nothing in the engine bay is porcelain, pry it out.